+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for canadian citizenship from US

mayankja

Jun 6, 2019
I will be be eligible for canadian citizenship soon, but I need to move to US just after to take up a job. Can I apply for canadian citizenship while I'm in US. Is there any requirement that I need to be living in canada when I submit the application

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I will be be eligible for canadian citizenship soon, but I need to move to US just after to take up a job. Can I apply for canadian citizenship while I'm in US. Is there any requirement that I need to be living in canada when I submit the application
1. No, your application has to be submitted in Canada.

mayankja

Jun 6, 2019
I did not find that requirement anywhere. Can you point me if there is any such written requirement.
In case this is a requirement can I visit canada for 2-3 days and submit the application and go back to US, I will meet the eligibility requirement for 1 next one year.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
yes you can but you see major delay for process time

1-If you live in Canada or the United States, send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney (CPC-S). If you live outside Canada and outside the United States, send your application to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area.A

mayankja

Jun 6, 2019
"1-If you live in Canada or the United States, send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney (CPC-S). If you live outside Canada and outside the United States, send your application to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area"

yes you can but you see major delay for process time

1-If you live in Canada or the United States, send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney (CPC-S). If you live outside Canada and outside the United States, send your application to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area.A
What you mentioned, if you read carefully is mentioned on site is to renounce the citizenship. I did not find anywhere whether we can or can not apply for citizenship from US.

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
You do not need to send your citizenship application from Canada. You can send it anywhere in the world. The problem is filling out the physical presence calculator form, where the last eligbility date (i.e. the day you sign your application) will be inaccurate because you're still outside of Canada. You can include an explanation with your application.

However, you still need to maintain your PR status, meaning meeting the RO, up until your oath. At this time, IRCC website says historically, it takes about 27 months to make a decision, and that time frame excludes the wait time to the oath ceremony. So you should probably allow 27 months and additional time to maintain your PR status after you move to the US. Who knows if or when the processing time will go back to the 12-month service standard...

Source: I applied from the US, and my application was accepted and processed.

Reactions: snoopyta

mayankja

Jun 6, 2019
You do not need to send your citizenship application from Canada. You can send it anywhere in the world. The problem is filling out the physical presence calculator form, where the last eligbility date (i.e. the day you sign your application) will be inaccurate because you're still outside of Canada. You can include an explanation with your application.

However, you still need to maintain your PR status, meaning meeting the RO, up until your oath. At this time, IRCC website says historically, it takes about 27 months to make a decision, and that time frame excludes the wait time to the oath ceremony. So you should probably allow 27 months and additional time to maintain your PR status after you move to the US. Who knows if or when the processing time will go back to the 12-month service standard...

Thanks a lot for confirming that you applied from US and the application was processed.

Also, what address to put in the application. In home and mailing address can we put the address of a friend in Canada (which is not our real address), or should we put the address in US as home address and provide mailing address of friend in canada. Other option is to add the friend or relative in canada as authorized representative. What addresses did you use?

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks a lot for confirming that you applied from US and the application was processed.

Also, what address to put in the application. In home and mailing address can we put the address of a friend in Canada (which is not our real address), or should we put the address in US as home address and provide mailing address of friend in canada. Other option is to add the friend or relative in canada as authorized representative. What addresses did you use?
You can put in your actual US address. I'll suggest being truthful. I used my US address.

Reactions: snoopyta

Guff

Sep 17, 2023

Thank you! Did you supply a Letter of Explanation with yours? Also what do you mean by RO?

Last edited: