+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian Citisenship from abroad

Porus

Sep 9, 2013
I will apply for Canadian citizenship from abroad for certain reasons.

My understanding is I need to meet the following conditions :

(A) At the time of application :
1. I have lived in 2 of 5 years in Canada
2. In the last 6 years, I have for at least 4 years lived in Canada for at least 183 days

(B) At time of grant :
1. I still need to be a PR (lived in Canada for 2 of 5 years calculated from grant date)
2. However, at time of grant, I do not need to meet the 4 of 6 years rule

QUESTION 1 : Is the above correct?
QUESTION 2 : some one told me that under new rules, there is a 3rd condition. That at time of application, I must have lived for at least 183 days in Canada in that year. So I cannot leave Canada & apply for citizenship after 183 days, even if I meet conditions A1 & A2 above. Is this correct?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Porus said:
I will apply for Canadian citizenship from abroad for certain reasons.

My understanding is I need to meet the following conditions :

(A) At the time of application :
1. I have lived in 2 of 5 years in Canada
2. In the last 6 years, I have for at least 4 years lived in Canada for at least 183 days

(B) At time of grant :
1. I still need to be a PR (lived in Canada for 2 of 5 years calculated from grant date)
2. However, at time of grant, I do not need to meet the 4 of 6 years rule

QUESTION 1 : Is the above correct?
QUESTION 2 : some one told me that under new rules, there is a 3rd condition. That at time of application, I must have lived for at least 183 days in Canada in that year. So I cannot leave Canada & apply for citizenship after 183 days, even if I meet conditions A1 & A2 above. Is this correct?
Don't think you can even apply for Canadian citizenship while abroad. You would have to be a residing and physically in Canada first before you can submit your Canadian citizenship application.

Screech339

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When did you became permanent resident and how much time did you spend physically in Canada during the last 4 years???

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Porus said:
Is this correct?
No.

Yes, you need to maintain your PR status (be in Canada 2/5 years) until you become a citizen.

However, the 4/6 year rule is not in force yet. Currently it is 3/5 years (as in 1095 days). When the 1460 day rule is in force, you will need to be in Canada 4 out of 6 years, not half of any 4 out of 6 years. The 183 day thing, which again, is not in force yet, is a footnote having to do with tax residency as far as I understand.

Check the CIC website and the residency calculator.

Personally, I'm not 100% sure if applying from abroad is allowed or not, but if it is allowed, it would be wise of you to assume that your application will be in process for many years (3+).

Porus

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks all (especially eileenf for the 183 day rule)

Can applications be made from abroad?
Yes, I know they can & 2 immigration consultants have confirmed this.

I meet the timing conditions.
I've been here from late 2010, out only 2 months. So I meet (i) the 2/5 rule, (ii) 3/4 rule, & (c) at end of this year, the 4/6 rule; whether by full year or half year requirements.

MY COMPLICATION
I have been offered a mining job abroad, starting early 2015. It is a 2 year contract & extremely lucrative, yet I cannot take any holidays apart from weekends. At the interview they jokingly told me that even if I died I'd have to report, and the only reason they'd excuse me is if my own head fell off !!

So once I start, I can't return to Canada for 2 years ... I'll call this 'the gap'.

Citizenship takes 2 yrs now. So if I apply now, my call for the test/oath will fall in the gap. Yet if I apply a few months after I start work, & my call-up is in 2 years, this is outside the gap, & I'll be back here in Canada.

This seems to be the only way this works. Of course it is not risk-free.
- If I apply 6 mths into the gap, & processing falls to 1 year, then my call will still end up in the gap.
- Or if they issue me an RQ, & this delays the process, I will miss the 2/5 year rule.

Any suggestions would be helpful, though I think this strategy has least risks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Test calls are now coming far sooner than 2 years. Once you apply, unless you get RQ, you should expect the test call within the first year. If you can't return to Canada for the test. I don't see the point in applying.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have 2 options and you need to choose one only.
1- Apply for your citizenship now and forget about your job offer.
2- Postpone your citizenship till 2021(4 years after coming back from to Canada) and go for your job and enjoy the money.

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
If you apply now from Canada, what would your local office be?
When are you planning on moving, you said early 2015, is that January or March?

If your local office is Mississauga or Halifax, based on the Google spreadsheet, its seems like application to oath is taking about 5 to 6 months (your results might be different). Some offices are processing applications faster than others. Check the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqi6FPDNYK_xdGplaHhxWFhVQkxFTjB5LUZ2anU2clE&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

So, if your local office is fast and you are planning on moving in say March or April, you may want to apply now (assuming you qualify).

If not, as others suggested, if you wait or apply from abroad, the chances are that your application will be scrutinized closely, and may be delayed

Ray

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
If I'm the CIC officer, with your condition like this (applying from other country and plan to leave Canada for long time), I will ask you lots lots lots of questions, means lots lots lots of RQ.
Even if you apply after your job contract is done, still you will meet lots of tough questions, because you were away for 2 years. The new law wants people to stay, not away. Just my opinion, though.

Ronaldo Da Lima 89

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
The law allows for you to apply from abroad, but when it comes to reality it would be so hard for you to get the Canadian citizenship especially these days when the CIC is tooo strict and try to give the Canadian citizenship its value and importance back. I know someone who was going to apply for citizenship. While he was preparing his application, he got acceptance letter from a German University for his master. He called CIC and he was told that "when you come back to Canada and when you have the intention to live in Canada, apply for its citizenship." I think if you call CIC and ask, you would hear the same answer!!

L-Tosh

May 19, 2014
To add to what Ronaldo Da Lima 89 wrote, when you inform the CIC of a case like your's, you'll be marked and red flags raised on your file. Simply follow Goldline's advice and choose one of the 2 options given!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
raymasa said:
If you apply now from Canada, what would your local office be?
When are you planning on moving, you said early 2015, is that January or March?

If your local office is Mississauga or Halifax, based on the Google spreadsheet, its seems like application to oath is taking about 5 to 6 months (your results might be different). Some offices are processing applications faster than others. Check the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqi6FPDNYK_xdGplaHhxWFhVQkxFTjB5LUZ2anU2clE&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

So, if your local office is fast and you are planning on moving in say March or April, you may want to apply now (assuming you qualify).

If not, as others suggested, if you wait or apply from abroad, the chances are that your application will be scrutinized closely, and may be delayed

Ray
Raymasa / Others,

In the spreadsheet above, does the "Received" field corresponds to the day it arrived and was signed for by the Sydney/CIC mail dock

OR

when CIC opens/verifies and then updates e-cas electronically saying "your application was received on" ???

raymasa

Star Member
Apr 12, 2014
us2yow said:
Raymasa / Others,

In the spreadsheet above, does the "Received" field corresponds to the day it arrived and was signed for by the Sydney/CIC mail dock

OR

when CIC opens/verifies and then updates e-cas electronically saying "your application was received on" ???
"Received" date is the day CIC receives the application. They may not log into eCAS several weeks/months after that.

Rayhan

Porus

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks all for the good replies. Based on these, I will take my decision if the following 2 are clarified:

1. I thought 4/6 yr rule is in force. EILEEN above says it isn't, & indeed CIC still shows 3/4 yr rule. Can others confirm Eileen's statement (sorry Eileen, not doubting you, yet just want to be 100% sure on this).

2. RAYMASA sent a spreadhseet of processing times. Vancouver office is showing average 'Receipt-to-Test' of 140-150 days. Are these exceptions? Or are people (especially RAYMASA who I think has more knowledge on this than most) seeing this is becoming the norm?

If the norm is becoming the 180-190 day mark for Receipt-to-Oath in Van office, & 3/4 years is still the rule, then I may be able to meet it if I apply now (my job starts in mid Apr ... i.e 8 months from now)

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please read the following article which appeared on the Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/08/04/residents_urged_to_apply_for_canadian_citizenship_to_avoid_hurdles_on_horizon.html
The article will clarify the point Eileen mentioned that the new rule regarding residency requirement has not been enforced as of yet.

You will have to weigh your options carefully and be cautious about extrapolating from other people's timelines. One may be be asked for more background checks and additional documentations (e.g. RQ) which could add to a timeline.

Porus said:
Thanks all for the good replies. Based on these, I will take my decision if the following 2 are clarified:

1. I thought 4/6 yr rule is in force. EILEEN above says it isn't, & indeed CIC still shows 3/4 yr rule. Can others confirm Eileen's statement (sorry Eileen, not doubting you, yet just want to be 100% sure on this).

2. RAYMASA sent a spreadhseet of processing times. Vancouver office is showing average 'Receipt-to-Test' of 140-150 days. Are these exceptions? Or are people (especially RAYMASA who I think has more knowledge on this than most) seeing this is becoming the norm?

If the norm is becoming the 180-190 day mark for Receipt-to-Oath in Van office, & 3/4 years is still the rule, then I may be able to meet it if I apply now (my job starts in mid Apr ... i.e 8 months from now)