+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for BOWP with AOR, Do I need an LMIA?!

Crow59

Dec 13, 2022
Hi all :)

I have an employee-specific WP that was issued in 2021, and it expires next month. Last week, I submitted all required documents for my PR application and got the AOR letter.

However, when I try to apply for a BOWP from my cic account, the initial questionnaire does not give me a document checklist unless I declare that have an LMIA. I had an LMIA two years ago and I got a WP with it, but I don't have a new LMIA.

Have you had the same experience? Do I need a new LMIA to apply for a BOWP? Am I missing anything?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Crow59

Dec 13, 2022
This below links contains the details. You dont need LMIA as long as your existing WP is valid. I'd recommend file this asap

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
Thanks for responding.
That is the exact link I was using to get the info... These are my answers to the questionnaire. With these answers, I'm expected to have an LMIA. Is there anything I'm missing here?

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Worker

Does one of the following apply to you?

• I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
  • I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
  • I am in primary or secondary school, or a visiting or exchange student, in Canada with visitor status.
  • I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC.
  • I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada; or
  • I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
    • Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada
    • Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
    • Protected Persons in Canada
    • Live-in Caregiver in Canada
No
Are you a spouse, common-law partneror dependent child of a person who:
  • Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3;
  • Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
  • Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
  • Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
No
Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who is:

• a foreign government officer in Canada on an exchange agreement
  • a military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a participant in professional sports activities or events
  • an employee of a foreign news company
  • a religious worker
No

Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
No
Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?
Yes
Do you have a written job offer?
Yes

What is your marital status?
Never Married/Single
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Alberta
Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
No

When does your status in Canada expire?
Date
February 24, 2023

Which option best describes your work situation?
None of the above

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
I wish i could help you better, sorry not sure why it is asking for LMIA. If you have an employer specific WP, may be you could check with you firm's immigration team. If not i'd recommend you talk to a good lawyer.

sbali

Jan 13, 2023
Thanks for responding.
That is the exact link I was using to get the info... These are my answers to the questionnaire. With these answers, I'm expected to have an LMIA. Is there anything I'm missing here?

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Worker

Does one of the following apply to you?

• I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
  • I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
  • I am in primary or secondary school, or a visiting or exchange student, in Canada with visitor status.
  • I am applying for an open work permit under an active public policy or pilot program announced by IRCC.
  • I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada; or
  • I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
    • Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada
    • Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
    • Protected Persons in Canada
    • Live-in Caregiver in Canada
No
Are you a spouse, common-law partneror dependent child of a person who:
  • Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3;
  • Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
  • Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
  • Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
No
Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who is:

• a foreign government officer in Canada on an exchange agreement
  • a military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a participant in professional sports activities or events
  • an employee of a foreign news company
  • a religious worker
No

Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
No
Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?
Yes
Do you have a written job offer?
Yes

What is your marital status?
Never Married/Single
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Alberta
Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
No

When does your status in Canada expire?
Date
February 24, 2023

Which option best describes your work situation?
None of the above
Say no to written job offer