Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
Regarding applying for a BOWP and a Closed WP at same time. Please hold on before "jumping out of the gun" :) - we knew that there is no point in applying for a closed WP when we have an option for applying Open WP. But some companies (including mine) is not OK with that - that is, working with them with an open WP!

Hence few of our situation is like that, we have already applied for BOWP which is in process/application received status, but now our company wanted to extend existing closed WP.

I have been searching on this to get some idea or solution last couple of week. Did not find any good explanation on this anywhere. Did search in CIC many time, outside canadavisa.com etc. but no go :( It could be because of the BOWP is relatively new. Also had discussion with canadacec2012 who is in similar situation. Hence I thought we can have a discussion on this so that everyone can benefit from it.

I called CIC twice in different days regarding this, and I was told that it is absolutely OK to apply 1 open and 1 closed at same time! One executive told me we need to submit an explanation letter with the closed one why we need closed WP when we can have an OWP. But interestingly, when I called next time I was told that we don't even need any explanation letter!!

canadacec2012 has similar experience probably he can give his recent experiences on this.

so basically we have 2 options here:

1) withdraw BOWP and go with only closed WP to avoid any future complications and confusions.

2) Take the chance and the word of CIC executives, go ahead with both and experiment. But there is a risk of refusing closed WP by telling that we have already applied for BOWP. It may impact our current employment!!!

I am going to call CIC once again, anyway I have to check one more thing with them, so I will ask this again and see.

Guys let us know your thoughts, suggestions, comments and experiences on this matter.

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
Okay, I checked with CIC again (3rd time :) ) and this time also I was told that it is OK to apply for both, also suggested to add an explanation letter why we wanted to do that (ex: as per company policy etc.) with the latest application (the second application)

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Shibi,

I got same responses from CIC.
I discussed with one of my friend who processed LMO when the person has already closed WP.
based on information i had ,below are the scenarios might happen when we process both BOWP and Closed WP at same time.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Case BOWP Status (Approved /Rejected) Comments
AOR - Before Medicals In progress Approved

AOR -Medical Rejected In progress Rejected

AOR -Before medical,
BOWP in progress &
Applied Closed WP In progress Approved Closed WP override the BOWP

AOR -Before medical,
BOWP Success &
Applied Closed WP Success Approved Closed WP override the BOWP

AOR -Before medical,
Closed WP in progress
& Applied BOWP In progress Approved BOWP override Closed WP(best option for us)

Reactions: Tophele

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
I do not see any issue till you are adding explanation letter with your second WP Application. But explanation coulb be tricky.. !

What are your timelines? If you can wait till you receive BOWP and then go for closed one..

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
Why do you say "Closed WP override the BOWP" OR "BOWP override closed WP" ?

If I am not wrong, you can hold multiple WP's at the same time. Isin't?

canadacec2012 said:
Hi Shibi,

I got same responses from CIC.
I discussed with one of my friend who processed LMO when the person has already closed WP.
based on information i had ,below are the scenarios might happen when we process both BOWP and Closed WP at same time.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Case BOWP Status (Approved /Rejected) Comments
AOR - Before Medicals In progress Approved

AOR -Medical Rejected In progress Rejected

AOR -Before medical,
BOWP in progress &
Applied Closed WP In progress Approved Closed WP override the BOWP

AOR -Before medical,
BOWP Success &
Applied Closed WP Success Approved Closed WP override the BOWP

AOR -Before medical,
Closed WP in progress
& Applied BOWP In progress Approved BOWP override Closed WP(best option for us)

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. one person can not hold two WPs at same time, their might have chances that second application might get Rejected(expect LMO WP)

sara007

Jan 4, 2013
No, That's not correct. You can hold multiple WP's at same time but work for one company full time.

However, I am not sure in case of BOWP, if same is applicable.

canadacec2012 said:
Yes , one person can not hold two WPs at same time

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sara007 said:
No, That's not correct. You can hold multiple WP's at same time but work for one company full time.

However, I am not sure in case of BOWP, if same is applicable.
i may be wrong ,but i have given the information considering the our friends cases, i am not sure how CIC issues the WPs.

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
yahoo7 said:
As per CIC, a person cannot hold 2 valid permits at any given point of time.
Can you please give me any reference to this in CIC website or any other official source? The reason being I called CIC 3 times and
canadacec2012 called 2 times. I don't think CIC executives can be wrong 5 times, because every time we were told that it is possible and suggested to submit an explanation letter. They said only thing that we need to pay the fee twice (obviously).

Also please note, this is not the case where we have already received a WP first (closed or open) and applying for the other one, it is the scenario we are applying the second one while the first on is in process or application received status.

@ canadacec2012

I am not worried about different levels of PR status (like medical rejected etc.) and it's impact to the BOWP. I am talking about the very initial stage where we have received our AOR and applying for BOWP. In that case we are eligible to apply for BOWP and then if we have this situation what would happen.

sara007

Jan 4, 2013

This is not correct statement, I know ppl (contractors) at my workplace having multiple WP's

yahoo7 said:
Friends, The moment a BOWP has been issued, your closed WP will become void. As per CIC, a person cannot hold 2 valid permits at any given point of time.

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shibinp said:
@ canadacec2012

I am talking about the very . In that case we are eligible to apply for BOWP and then if we have this situation what would happen.
if person can not hold 2 WPs

Second WP application might override the First WP application or Second WP application might be rejected.
its all depends on the VO and covering letter submitted for Second WP application

If person can hold 2 WPs

Both applications will be approved

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
yes, I also saw in CIC, for example, live-in care givers can have multiple WP to work under multiple employers, this is explicitly mentioned in CIC website, however nothing more detail in case of BOWP. So there is option and it should be OK.

My only worry is will it make unnecessary complications or delay in my closed WP processing (as I have already submitted BOWP)?

Mostly I will withdraw my BOWP and later submit it again once I get my closed permit. Current closed permit is only for 6 months they are processing so after 2 months I can again apply for BOWP.

sara007 said:

This is not correct statement, I know ppl (contractors) at my workplace having multiple WP's

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was told this by one of my friend and he inturn checked with CIC. I apologise if I am incorrect. I withdraw my comment and let the seniors put in their 2 cents.

cj308

Nov 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
10-04-2013
Hi guys,

I want to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit. i have a few question, which are as: If anyone has got the BOWP and aware about filling up the form, could you please let me know as well.

1. whether am eligible to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit or not?
Note: My online Canadian Experience Class PR Application status = Application Received. They received my application on 1st march. And I have a confirmation mail from Centralized Intake Office with my Applicaiton no. and acknowledge of fee payment of CEC.

2. As of now, am in Work Permit ( close work permit ) and working and my contract with company is going to expire on 31st July 2013 along with my work permit and visa. While filling the form IMM5710E (Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker)

a. What should i choose from below?
i. A work permit with the same emploer
ii. Restoration of temporary resident status as worker
iii. A work permit with a new employer
iv Initial Temporary Resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit.

b. Do i have to provide present Employer detail on "Details of Intended Work in Canada", as my contract is going

to expire on 31st July and applying for Open Work Permit.

3. Do my spouse to fill separate form. As of now, she is with me in Visitor?

*cj308*

shibinp

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
23-04-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Request
10-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
29-Jan-2014
Okay guys,

My 'experiment' is over. :) The result is:
Our company agent, who is designated to process all of our closed permits, got an email notification from CIC regarding my closed permit application, that stated " CIC would not be issuing you an extended work permit because you already obtained an Bridging Open Work Permit based on the fact you have a PR application in process."

I also spoke with the our company agent and he told me that "technically" it is possible to have 2 WP, however it also depends, like if I had applied closed permit first and then the Open one, I might have received both. But in my case I had applied BOWP first (and I got that on Jul 17) and the closed one after that (so there is no logic of issuing a closed one if we have already an OWP)

Hope this helps many of us who are in similar situation. So the best bet would be, as canadacec2012 did, discuss with your HR/company that you have already applied for BOWP, why do you still want me to apply for closed one. If company is OK with your BOWP all fine, if your company still want to apply and see the same reply from CIC as I received, let them do it.

Having said all these, it may be different case by case or VO. But I think everyone is going to get same reply from CIC if you are doing like what I have done.