+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a visa within Canada

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have a question on regards to the student visa.

My niece is an Australian/Peruvian Citizen who is is been living in Canada for a few months, She is being here as a visitor, She is a Licensed psychologist in Peru where in English is not spoken,She obtained her Australian Citizenship through her father. She wants to continue her studies here in Canada but her English is not enough to continue her education here, She wants to ho to College and stud English full time to prepare herself to continue her career.
To make it short, her visitor visa will finish in a couple of months, can she apply for a student visa while she is here to study English as an International Student? If so, how can she do this? We know Sheridan College has post-graduate English career courses.

Please help

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have a question on regards to the student visa.

My niece is an Australian/Peruvian Citizen who is is been living in Canada for a few months, She is being here as a visitor, She is a Licensed psychologist in Peru where in English is not spoken,She obtained her Australian Citizenship through her father. She wants to continue her studies here in Canada but her English is not enough to continue her education here, She wants to ho to College and stud English full time to prepare herself to continue her career.
To make it short, her visitor visa will finish in a couple of months, can she apply for a student visa while she is here to study English as an International Student? If so, how can she do this? We know Sheridan College has post-graduate English career courses.

Please help

anuoner please

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Generally speaking it's a bad idea to apply for a study permit from within Canada. It would be better if she applied from her home country. To be approved, you must show you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term - it's hard to show this if you are already in Canada. Also, it's generally far more difficult to be approved for a study permit to take an English language program - this is seen as a weak reason for wanting to study in Canada by CIC. It would be better if she applied for study permit to take a program related to her previous studies as a psychologist.

Having said that, she can certainly try. To be approved, she will need to show that she has funds available to cover her first year tuition + $10K in living expenses. The study permit cannot be processed through a visa office in Canada. It can only be processed through her home country visa office or a visa office in the US.