+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a tourist visa

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen on a H1-B visa in the U.S. I want to apply for Canadian tourist visa online. I am planning to visit Canada in January 2016. I have a problem though - I am visiting India for a month from Nov 11 to Dec 14. I will be back in the U.S. on Dec 14.

If I wait until I come back from India and then apply online, then I may not get the visa approved and my passport stamped before January. So, my question is, can I apply online just before I leave for India (because I know I have 30 days to send the passport once they respond)? Is it a problem if I applied for the visa and then travelled to India?

My idea is to apply online just before I leave (around Nov 10), then hopefully they'd respond to me in 10-15 days, so I'll have until end of December to send my passport to them. So I can come back to the U.S. on Dec 14 and send my passport to the embassy. Is it OK to do this? Or will I have problems because the uploaded passport that I submit with my application will not be the same as the passport I send in (it will have more entries from my travel to India)?

Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

You can do any of these:
a. You can apply (paper application) when in India.... but processing timelines may/may not match your vacation... it also depends on your address in India.

b. You can apply online (giving a India residence address) before you leave for India.... and submit your passport for stamping when you're in India.

c. You can apply online (giving a US residence address) before you leave for India.... and submit your passport for stamping after you return from India. Processing time for LA is currently 42 days/NY is 52 days (this is only a guide)

In the case of (c), if you get a passport submission request when you're in India, you can send a Case Specific Enquiry to the LA/NY visa office informing that you will submit your passport after you return to the US

Cheers

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Bryanna. I am likely to go with option (c) because I am not from a big city in India, and it's very likely that my passport won't return in time for my return to the U.S..

Which brings me back to my original concern - is there a problem if the soft copy I submit with the application doesn't match with what they will see on the passport when I send it in? Meaning there'll be additional stamps on my passport from the trip to India.

Also, when you say processing times, does it mean the whole process from submitting online to getting the passport stamped? Or just them requesting for my passport? And when I submit online, how do I know which processing center it goes to?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which brings me back to my original concern - is there a problem if the soft copy I submit with the application doesn't match with what they will see on the passport when I send it in? Meaning there'll be additional stamps on my passport from the trip to India.
No, this will not make a difference. It's the same passport.... no new visas will be issued (you're an Indian citizen).

Also, when you say processing times, does it mean the whole process from submitting online to getting the passport stamped? Or just them requesting for my passport?
Processing time = From the time a complete application is submitted to the time a decision is made.... you can add 7-10 days for passport transmission to/from the CVAC to this.

And when I submit online, how do I know which processing center it goes to?
There's no information on where online applications are processed

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hello,

I received a request to send my passport on Nov 17. How do I know which office to send it to? Is it NY or LA? The request letter doesn't say which one. Also, I am currently overseas. I am back in the U.S. on Dec 15. So, by the time they receive my passport, it would be more than 30 days from the notice date.

I tried writing to them online but I haven't heard back yet. Is it OK if I sent in my passport around Dec 20? Is there a way I can communicate this? And, which office do I send my passport to?

Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Prasanna,

You can send your passport to the visa office nearest to where you are in the US.

Also, send a Case Specific Enquiry to the LA and NY offices mentioning you are abroad presently.... and you will submit your passport when you return to the US.

My advice is to submit your passport BEFORE the 30 days lapses ie on December 15 immediately after you return. Do not submit it around December 20 because the visa office may not stamp your TRV after 30 days

Cheers :)

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hello Bryanna,

Thank you for your response. OK, so I should be able to overnight the passport to the NY office (I live in Chicago) as soon as I'm back there. Do you think I should be OK if I am able to send it to them by Dec 15/16? The notice is dated Nov, 17.

Could you please guide me on how to send a case specific enquiry to the NY office? Do they have an online forum?

Also, is there restrictions on the method of sending or the carrier? I plan to send it via UPS or FedEx overnight.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Do ensure it reaches before the 30 days are up.

This link will help: https://www.csc-cvac.com/en-us/selfservice/cvac_application_processing
and also www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/approved-online-visitor-visa-passport-return-times-t134432.615.html

You must pay the correct VAC fees + VAC consent form + letter for passport request, etc

You can send a CSE to the NY visa office:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=new york

Cheers

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Bryanna. I have sent a CSE to the NY office asking if they could make an exception to the 30-day deadline.

I visited the links you gave me and I am now very confused :( What is the VAC actually? Is the NY or the LA center? So, I understand I need to send my passport and the letter I received from CIC asking for my passport.

However I don't understand how much fees I need to pay (is it $31.99?) and by what means and also what they mean by VAC consent form.

"Step 1: Bring your passport to the VAC and pay the appropriate fee(s). Please include the letter from CIC requesting your passport, the VAC Consent Form, and your contact information, specifically your daytime telephone number and email address"

I thought I need to send my passport to the consulate in NY (1251 6th Ave, New York, NY 10020). I am just so confused right now :( Please help.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

VAC: Visa Application Centres are the service providers for CIC.... VACs are authorized to accept visa applications or transmit passports to/from the visa office.

VAC Consent Form: Authorizing the VAC to transmit your passport to the visa office

The links are quite explanatory. However, you can contact the NY VAC: http://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_centres

Cheers

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Thank you, Bryanna.

1) I sent a CSE to the NY office telling them that I will be sending my passport once I reach the U.S.. Do you think I can request them for an additional few days? When you initially asked me to send a CSE, what did you have in mind?

2) I also sent an e-mail to the VAC requesting them if they could send my passport to the visa office as soon as they get it. I will try to overnight it on Dec 14, so VAC should have it by Dec 15. Do you know if the 30 day time is to the VAC or the visa office? If my passport reaches the VAC by Dec 15, do you think if I'll be OK?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. The visa office may/may not agree to changing the 30 days passport submission rule. You can try though

2. VACs accept visa applications/transmit passports on behalf of CIC. So, yes, if you submit your passport to the NY VAC by December 15, you'll be fine

Cheers

prasanna1157

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hello Bryanna,

I made a CSE on some Web site a few days ago, which I thought was not the right Web site. Because, I made another CSE after you gave me the right Web site for the NY visa office. However, I have now received an e-mail regarding my first CSE from the below e-mail address:

"CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca"

Here is the content of their e-mail:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Please be advised that you have been granted a 30 day extension to submit your passport.
Please make sure to send your passport as soon as you get back from your trip.

Regards,

KZ03206
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada"

I don't know where I made this enquiry to but it's definitely not to the NY office. Can I trust from this e-mail that my case has been updated? I haven't heard back yet from the NY visa center or the VAC.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Prasanna,

You received a reply from CPC-Ottawa which processes TRV applications made from within Canada. Guess you sent your first CSE to CPC-O by mistake.

It's probably best to see what the NY visa office has to say to your second CSE.

In the meanwhile, you may also want to check with the NY VAC about the VAC fees which were revised on November 9

Cheers :)