+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a study permit while parents are applying for a work permit

ClaireNTD

Mar 30, 2024
My parents are applying for a work permit, and I will be going with them as a dependent. However, their work permits might not be approved in time for when my college school year starts in the fall. Can (and should) I apply for a study permit while my parents’ work permits are still being processed? Will I be rejected or will it affect my parents’ application? I have heard of a student being rejected when applying for a US student visa while her family was having an immigration visa in process.
What will I even write on the letter of intention? I mean I’m supposed to state that I have ties to my home country (like family) but my parents likely won’t even be there.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My parents are applying for a work permit, and I will be going with them as a dependent. However, their work permits might not be approved in time for when my college school year starts in the fall. Can (and should) I apply for a study permit while my parents’ work permits are still being processed? Will I be rejected or will it affect my parents’ application? I have heard of a student being rejected when applying for a US student visa while her family was having an immigration visa in process.
What will I even write on the letter of intention? I mean I’m supposed to state that I have ties to my home country (like family) but my parents likely won’t even be there.
If you are going to a college or university then your study permit is separate from their application. You should be applying now because you need admissions to school and then provincial approval prior to applying for study permit. You pay first year international tuition, and show minimum $20k. No impact on your parent’s applications.

You say going as a dependant so what did you apply for when they applied for work permits?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As said above, you need to apply for a study permit separately. You cannot study at the post secondary level based on being a dependent of your parents work permit. You have to apply on your own and also need to be prepared to pay international student fees. Make sure you show enough savings and that you also familiarize yourself with the requirements to apply for a study permit, including the attestation letter.