+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a study permit when you have a valid Study permit

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
Hello,

I have valid Study permit till 2019/10/30 (recived for studiyng in college)

Now I am in Ukraine. I'm going to go to university and i have LOA from them.

My Study in University starts from 01 of september 2019

My Question is do i have to apply for new study permit from ukraine for the new dates 01 of september 2019 (whiel my study permit is still valid ) Or i can go to univerity and apply for new study permit (from 2019/10/30 ) while i will be studiyng

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
Thanks, can i apply for my parents (they have visas as me till 2019/10/30 )
but when i answer on question - Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

definition "Family Member" does not include parents

An applicant's closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Think you answered your own question in that any TRV application for your parents would be completely separate from your study permit application and processed on own merit.

Reactions: IevgenG

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
I Have confused by this question (in application)

-Do you have a valid work permit or study permit, and need a visa to return to Canada?

Yes, I have a study permit, but i need new Study permit not just a visa, and for my return to canada i still have valid visa . But anywhy a dont have any other option, so i have to answer - Yes.

I am afraid that this answer will confuse СIC , and my request will be not for study permit, just for visa

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
after this answer -Do you have a valid work permit or study permit, and need a visa to return to Canada? - Yes

i have just Aplication for visitor visa in my cheklist but i need new study permit

So i guess i have to answer that i dont have valid stury permit

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Why apply for a new one when this is still valid? Under what circumstances did you leave Canada? Only apply for a new one if this was has expired i.e it has been more than 90 days since you finished school otherwise get an extension.

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
because this study permit was issued for studying in college now i am going to university.
I graduated from college few weeks ago and came back home.

So can i apply for extension ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
because this study permit was issued for studying in college now i am going to university.
I graduated from college few weeks ago and came back home.

So can i apply for extension ?
There is no difference for post secondary study permits you can study at any college/uni unless it specifically states you can only study at a particular school.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You only need to create an online myCIC account and switch DLI in there. You should apply extension but that you can do in Canada if you go back before expiry. Also check that your TRV/Sticker in passport is valid until you go back to Canada.

IevgenG

Jul 6, 2017
But if i make(extand) Stuty Permit in Canada after Study permit a have to go to Toronto for making a visa. I want to do it in Ukraine. Study permit and visa together. But as i wrote before

i created online myCIC account , and there is a question
-Do you have a valid work permit or study permit, and need a visa to return to Canada?
When answer - Yes

i have just Aplication for visitor visa. So my dessision i have to answer that i dont have valid Stutdy Permit (it has sense because my current SP was for college)

When answer - no , i can apply for stady permit.

I thought that a lot of students have the same situation, intresting how they answer and do this procedure