+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a second Family class sponsorship after not meeting the residency requirement of 1st PR

Feb 8, 2013
Hi,

I am currently a PR holder through the Family class but have not yet lived in Canada while on PR. Therefore, if I don't move back to Canada by the end of the year I will eventually lose my PR after the review process. It is now looking very unlikely that my partner and I will be able to move back before then so I'm enquiring about my options for applying for a second Family class sponsorship with my wife.

How would a new Family class application be viewed if I had got PR the first time around and did not meet the residency requirement at all? Do I have any chance of getting a second family class pr sponsorship?

Thanks in advance.
WallingtonBear.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Only comment would be do not renounce your PR status until you really need to given only PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. To apply again you would need of course to renounce first but as posted above this should have no impact to a new application, just have to qualify again plus the hassle of pulling together all the forms/ documentation from scratch

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes the other option is to try and get through unreported via the US border and stay in Canada for 2+ years without being able to leave. You can’t sponsor anyone without being compliant your RO. You’d need a SIN to work. Getting a healthcare card could be difficult. Do your research and only renounce if you know you qualify again. There are some other examples but may be hard to find on the forum.