+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PRTD from Mexico or Panama - Processing times?

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Hi,
My PR card will expire beginning of April 2018. I need to travel to Panama at the end of April and stay about 1 week, max 10 days. I will apply for a PR card this week but according to the current processing time for PR cards (83 days) it’s unlikely I’ll get it for the trip.

It wouldn’t be feasible for me to return to Canada by private vehicle so I need to get a PRTD.

I called the visa office in Panama and they told me processing time is 14-20 days, as they don’t do it locally and need to send all the paperwork to Mexico.

I can’t stay that long to wait for the PRTD, so I’m thinking of flying back via Mexico and applying for the PRTD directly there, which I believe would be faster. I’ll call the visa office in Mexico City tomorrow to find out how long it takes but in the meantime:

Has anyone applied for a PRTD from Mexico and knows the processing time?
Thanks!

Navidpour

Jul 5, 2017
Hello Very similar situation, I am also trying to find out the processing time for PRTD in Mexico, I called the VAC office, but it seems its just an automated voice message.
Did you have any luck finding more information?

Thanks,

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Hello Very similar situation, I am also trying to find out the processing time for PRTD in Mexico, I called the VAC office, but it seems its just an automated voice message.
Did you have any luck finding more information?

Thanks,
Hi,
I emailed the Visa office in Mexico and they sent me a standard reply with links to the government site, which did not answer my question. I emailed again asking if they could be more specific about their processing time for PRTD and they said they couldn’t provide a specific processing time. I called and on the phone they told me it takes two to three weeks.

That’s the same processing time they had told me over the phone in the Panama visa office (2-3 weeks), as they need to send the application to Mexico to be processed. I had thought of flying back to Canada from Panama via Mexico and staying in Mexico a few days to apply for the PRTD, as I figured it would be faster than applying in Panama, as Mexico handles the applications, but no, apparently it takes the same (long!) time.

As I said, over the phone the visa office in Panama said 2-3 weeks and by email they told me approximately 14 working days. I will fly back through Panama then and hope my PRTD is ready by the time I need to get back to work.

The only place I know of that has same day processing is the embassy in Cuba.

Good luck!

Navidpour

Jul 5, 2017
Hi,
I emailed the Visa office in Mexico and they sent me a standard reply with links to the government site, which did not answer my question. I emailed again asking if they could be more specific about their processing time for PRTD and they said they couldn’t provide a specific processing time. I called and on the phone they told me it takes two to three weeks.

That’s the same processing time they had told me over the phone in the Panama visa office (2-3 weeks), as they need to send the application to Mexico to be processed. I had thought of flying back to Canada from Panama via Mexico and staying in Mexico a few days to apply for the PRTD, as I figured it would be faster than applying in Panama, as Mexico handles the applications, but no, apparently it takes the same (long!) time.

As I said, over the phone the visa office in Panama said 2-3 weeks and by email they told me approximately 14 working days. I will fly back through Panama then and hope my PRTD is ready by the time I need to get back to work.

The only place I know of that has same day processing is the embassy in Cuba.

Good luck!
Thanks for your detailed reply, this is very unfortunate, I hope we can find a way around it.

Thanks

Reactions: LetMtl

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
Hello,
I would like to know how did it go for you? How long did all the process take?

I landed in Mexico the 13th of March, sent my application to the CVAC in Mexico the 14th of March and it was received the 16th of March. I have sent at least 10 e-mails asking why I haven't received the so-famous barcode number to track my application status online and the same person always answers me with unrelated information.

I am not going back to Canada until mid April but I am starting to get desperate, it is getting long!

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Hello,
I would like to know how did it go for you? How long did all the process take?

I landed in Mexico the 13th of March, sent my application to the CVAC in Mexico the 14th of March and it was received the 16th of March. I have sent at least 10 e-mails asking why I haven't received the so-famous barcode number to track my application status online and the same person always answers me with unrelated information.

I am not going back to Canada until mid April but I am starting to get desperate, it is getting long!
Hi, I haven’t traveled yet. When I had emailed the visa office in Mexico to ask how long does it take to get a Travel Document, they weren’t specific in their replies, seems they only reply with generic information. The only way I got an answer was by phoning. They told me the process takes about 2-3 weeks.

I didn’t know they’re supposed to send you a barcode once you apply. Maybe you can call them and ask?

Good luck and let me know what they say!

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
Exactly, it is generic information. The phone service is a little more helpful but they can not give specific information for my application. They only give you details by e-mail or by text message.

My brother applied for a PRTD last November and he did receive the barcode number. It began with 2017. This year's barcodes are supposed to begin with 2018.

I am stressed because they have my passport...

Ctvas

Dec 19, 2013
Exactly, it is generic information. The phone service is a little more helpful but they can not give specific information for my application. They only give you details by e-mail or by text message.

My brother applied for a PRTD last November and he did receive the barcode number. It began with 2017. This year's barcodes are supposed to begin with 2018.

I am stressed because they have my passport...
Hi Marijogh,
Could you tell us, how long did it take to your brother to get his PRTD from the CVAC? Thanks in advance

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
Hi Marijogh,
Could you tell us, how long did it take to your brother to get his PRTD from the CVAC? Thanks in advance
I don’t have the exact dates, but it took him less than a week. Things that must be considered are that he dropped his application in person at the CVAC in Mexico’s city and he also wrote a letter explaining that he needed to go back to Canada as soon as possible because he owns a company that he needs to run. I’m sure both things combined accelerated the process.

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
So, today I received an e-mail from the CVAC saying that my application has been processed on 02 April 2018. I am hoping to receive my passport soon! IT is being a little bit long.. Any other person has dealt with applications in the office in Mexico City? I'd appreciate knowing more about others' experiences.

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
April 5th I received an email saying that my passport had been processed and sent to me. I received it today, April 6th.

So timeline goes as follows:

March 14th, 2018 - Shipped via DHL from Acapulco
March 16, 2018 - Received at the CVAC Mexico City
April 2nd, 2018 - Email from the CVAC informing that application is in process
April 5th, 2018 - Email from the CVAC informing that passport has been processed and dispatched
April 6th, 2018 - Received passport with PRTD multiple entries, valid until August 2019

Note that there were several holidays that probably affected the efficiency in service (March 19 - Benito Juárez birthday, March 29th - Holy Thursday, and March 30th - Good Friday)

I’m glad this is done and I’m happy sharing my timeline for the others who might want to get an idea of how long the process is.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

LetMtl

Jan 21, 2018
Thanks so much, this is really helpful! So it took 22 calendar days since they received your application until you got your passport with the PRTD. That’s pretty much the three weeks I was told it would take when I phoned them.

I’m still hoping to get my PR card before I leave for Panama but it’s looking really tight. Applications in the Panama office are actually processed in the Mexico office. I’ll have 19 days to get the PRTD before I need to return to Canada. Really hoping it will be processed in that time.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Marijogh

Mar 28, 2018
If you can travel to Mexico City and process your application in person, do it. It helps a lot if you bring all your papers ready and in order. Also, if you have to go back to Canada because of work or studies, try and get a letter from your employer or school stating that you need to be back at given date. It might accelerate the process. At least in my brother’s case, it did.

I’m happy to help. When I looked for information and didn’t find anything I was discouraged. So, I’m hoping to help in any way I can.

Finally, according to the CIC website they’re currently working on applications from January 2nd (which you probably already kwnow). So you might be lucky enough to get your PR card on time.

zobs_vita_nuova

Mar 4, 2021
Hi, I'm sharing my timeline regarding the Permanent Resident Card Travel Document requested in Mexico City:
1. Application received at VAC CDMX on Octuber 7, 2021
2. Application has been received and is under process at the IRCC Office on Mon Oct 18 2021
3. Email received: "We're still working on your application (R304370480)" on Tue Nov 02 2021

xc1

Nov 4, 2021
Hi, I'm sharing my timeline regarding the Permanent Resident Card Travel Document requested in Mexico City:
1. Application received at VAC CDMX on Octuber 7, 2021
2. Application has been received and is under process at the IRCC Office on Mon Oct 18 2021
3. Email received: "We're still working on your application (R304370480)" on Tue Nov 02 2021
Thank you for sharing, I'm about to apply from Mexico, please let us know when you receive your PRTD.
Best,