+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PGWP at POE with an expired study permit

JacobSlvrmn

Oct 16, 2018
hi all,

So I'm in a pretty tight situation and I was wondering if anyone might have any experience or perspectives to offer.

I graduated at the end of August from a 2-year program. Before the end of the program I had applied for an extension of my study permit because it expired early in Sept and i wasn't sure if I would have all my documents by then. Due to poor oversight on my end and no help from my school's international advisors I forgot to include the request letter for my study permit extension in my application. Anyway about 2 weeks ago I my extension was refused on the grounds of not being enrolled in a program since I forgot to include my school's letter of request to extend my permit. So now my permit has expired, and I have already left the country for a family emergency. This means my previous implied status is now gone too..

My plan is this, and I'm wondering if anyone has anything they can share that might help.

I'm going to gather all of my documents together - final transcripts, letter of completion, passport, expired study permit, letter of request, etc. - and flagpole (I'm a US citizen) to apply for my permit at POE.

I know having a valid permit is prerequisite to obtaining a PGWP, but I meet all of the requirements otherwise and the 90 days after completing my program is quickly approaching. A lot of time was lost waiting on confirmation about my study permit extension.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others will comment as well but would tend to agree no valid study permit equal no PGWP. Nothing to stop you trying to plead your case but does not sound that promising.

Reactions: JacobSlvrmn

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Since you left Canada there is also no restoration possible. Since you are American I believe you are allowed to apply for a study permit at the border so you might consider doing that if you can get a valid reason to apply for another study permit.