+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Permanent resident travel document(PRTD)

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Hi,
I was planning on applying for a PRTD on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds, as my PR card has expired and I was removed for Canada as a minor(my parents decided to move back), now I'm 18.

Now I have some queries related to it, kindly assist me
I read on a form that I need the following only:

a)Photocopy of COPR
b)Photocopy of Passport front and back pages
c)Original passport
d)Application for PRTD downloaded from CIC website
e)Consent Form of VFS
f)Family Information sheet filled and signed
g)Entry and Exit sheet filled and signed

2 photographs 35x45mm according to specs in Appendix A in the PRTD application guidelines

First of all, are these the only required documents or are there more ?

2) I'm unable to locate (e), (g), I found (f) But I'm not sure whether Its the correct one or not(is this the one imm5707e ?)

3) Do I need to type and print the forms where ever possible or everything needs to be filled by hand only, If by hand then which pen, Black ?

Thanks in advance
Harry :)

PS I'm currently in India

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Better visit nearest VFS office, they will guide you.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
The nearest VFS is not in my city, so I have to travel. I'm going to appear for the CPE exam in the same city where the VFS centre is located. I'll mail them, still if anyone has some information please do post.

Thanks

zanny

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2015
AOR Received.
30-10-2015
IELTS Request
27-07-2015
Interview........
Not reqd
Passport Req..
08-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
Mid-2016
Harry99 said:
Hi,
I was planning on applying for a PRTD on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds, as my PR card has expired and I was removed for Canada as a minor(my parents decided to move back), now I'm 18.

a)Photocopy of COPR
c)Original passport
e)Consent Form of VFS

2 photographs 35x45mm according to specs in Appendix A in the PRTD application guidelines

2) I'm unable to locate (e), (g), I found (f) But I'm not sure whether Its the correct one or not(is this the one imm5707e ?)

3) Do I need to type and print the forms where ever possible or everything needs to be filled by hand only, If by hand then which pen, Black ?

Thanks in advance

The photo dimensions is 50x70 now

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Harry99 said:
Hi,

a)Photocopy of COPR
c)Original passport
e)Consent Form of VFS

Thanks in advance

I recently applied for the PRTD when I visited India to see my mom and dad. However, I applied because I had just received permanent residence and I had not yet received my PR card. The process was very straight forward and far less painful than I had expected it to be. I gave them a copy of my return ticket to Toronto and I got my passport with the PRTD visa in 4 days!

I applied at the VFS center in Bangalore, India. There wasn't a huge line or anything and they took all my docs and gave me a receipt to track the progress.However, in your case you might need to additionally provide them with a DETAILED letter explaining your situation. My suggestion would be to spend a good amount of time drafting this letter to make a very compelling case for yourself. From what I recall from the CIC website, I believe that is a requirement as well to apply on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. IMHO, submitting docs in person is better because the person at the counter will check all your docs and let you know right there if anything is missing or incorrect.

As far as typing or doing it by hand, either is fine. I don't recall what I did, but if you fill it in by hand make sure to write everything in PRINT (black is my preferred color for these things, although I guess blue is fine too).

see link below, and also see the instruction guide for humanitarian and compassionate grounds section:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/india/

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5627E.pdf

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Thanks for te detailed answer, it was indeed very helpful.
I received the mail from the VFS centre and they told me to fill everything electronically and then print with black ink.

zanny

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2015
AOR Received.
30-10-2015
IELTS Request
27-07-2015
Interview........
Not reqd
Passport Req..
08-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
Mid-2016
747-captain said:
I recently applied for the PRTD when I visited India to see my mom and dad. However, I applied because I had just received permanent residence and I had not yet received my PR card. The process was very straight forward and far less painful than I had expected it to be. I gave them a copy of my return ticket to Toronto and I got my passport with the PRTD visa in 4 days!

I applied at the VFS center in Bangalore, India. There wasn't a huge line or anything and they took all my docs and gave me a receipt to track the progress.However, in your case you might need to additionally provide them with a DETAILED letter explaining your situation. My suggestion would be to spend a good amount of time drafting this letter to make a very compelling case for yourself. From what I recall from the CIC website, I believe that is a requirement as well to apply on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. IMHO, submitting docs in person is better because the person at the counter will check all your docs and let you know right there if anything is missing or incorrect.

As far as typing or doing it by hand, either is fine. I don't recall what I did, but if you fill it in by hand make sure to write everything in PRINT (black is my preferred color for these things, although I guess blue is fine too).

see link below, and also see the instruction guide for humanitarian and compassionate grounds section:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/index.asp

http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/india/

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5627E.pdf
Ouch!

I gave them a letter to explain my situation but i did not attach my air tickets! The letter was also very straightforward that I need the document to return to Canada as I had landed only for 12 days. I have 4yrs and 10 months to fulfill my residency obligations (Became a PR in June 2016). I hope I have not screwed up :(

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
zanny said:
Ouch!

I gave them a letter to explain my situation but i did not attach my air tickets! The letter was also very straightforward that I need the document to return to Canada as I had landed only for 12 days. I have 4yrs and 10 months to fulfill my residency obligations (Became a PR in June 2016). I hope I have not screwed up :(
The return ticket is not really a requirement. I attached it because I was going to stay in India for only 3 weeks, and according to them the processing time for the PRTD was 20 days. So, I needed them to expedite the process. And I traveled just 3 days after landing! (crossed over into Canada by the Peace bridge on 23rd of Feb and left for India on 25th!!)

I don't believe they will give you any grief over fulfilling your residency obligations as it should be very clear you are a brand new PR (as long as you did not forget to attach a copy of your COPR).

Oddly enough, the whole process was totally painless with the Canadian embassy. However I have to warn you that while leaving India I almost had a massive heart attack because of Indian immigration officials. They had never seen a PRTD before and thought it was some kind of a fake. They detained me for almost an hour while they "investigated". Of course, my situation might have appeared a bit weird to them because my Indian passport was renewed in San Francisco in 2006 and I had not been in India for the last 20 years. In desperation I showed them my Advance Parole from the US (and that I'm even allowed to return to the US to continue my US PR application) and that confused them even more. They asked me all kinds of questions like "What were you doing in the US for the last 20 years?" "If you've been living in the US why did you apply for Canadian PR?"....etc etc. I almost thought they were not going to let me board my plane, when they finally let me go Phew!

zanny

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2015
AOR Received.
30-10-2015
IELTS Request
27-07-2015
Interview........
Not reqd
Passport Req..
08-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-12-2015
LANDED..........
Mid-2016
747-captain said:
The return ticket is not really a requirement. I attached it because I was going to stay in India for only 3 weeks, and according to them the processing time for the PRTD was 20 days. So, I needed them to expedite the process. And I traveled just 3 days after landing! (crossed over into Canada by the Peace bridge on 23rd of Feb and left for India on 25th!!)

I don't believe they will give you any grief over fulfilling your residency obligations as it should be very clear you are a brand new PR (as long as you did not forget to attach a copy of your COPR).

Oddly enough, the whole process was totally painless with the Canadian embassy. However I have to warn you that while leaving India I almost had a massive heart attack because of Indian immigration officials. They had never seen a PRTD before and thought it was some kind of a fake. They detained me for almost an hour while they "investigated". Of course, my situation might have appeared a bit weird to them because my Indian passport was renewed in San Francisco in 2006 and I had not been in India for the last 20 years. In desperation I showed them my Advance Parole from the US (and that I'm even allowed to return to the US to continue my US PR application) and that confused them even more. They asked me all kinds of questions like "What were you doing in the US for the last 20 years?" "If you've been living in the US why did you apply for Canadian PR?"....etc etc. I almost thought they were not going to let me board my plane, when they finally let me go Phew!

14 days gone and no updates on my application - but considering a holiday, 3 days of protest in between, my application will take time another 10 days :/

YvChakaChaka

Jan 15, 2016
zanny said:
14 days gone and no updates on my application - but considering a holiday, 3 days of protest in between, my application will take time another 10 days :/
Hey Zanny! Did you end up getting your PRTD?

anirudhap

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zanny said:
hey zanny...did you received your PRTD?

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Hi guys, wish me luck. I'm traveling to the Jalandhar Vfs tomorrow. I'm taking the following with me:

1) New passport with 2 photocopies
2) Old expired passport(which has the visa) and 2 photocopies
3) Expired PR card and 1 photocopy
4) Original COPR + 2 copies
5) 2 copies of my visa + entry/exit stamp of Canada and India
6) IMM 5524E*
7) IMM 5707E*
8 ) IMM 5627E
9)VFS consent form
10) My report card from elementary school :D proving that I was indeed in Canada.

* Stupid me forgot to type in one section of both forms and so I filled them by hand in block letters using black pen.
I'm having an intuition that they'll ask me to fill them again this time fully electronically. So I'll be carrying extra cash and will ask for their help(vfs offers this service for a cost).

I'll be going tomorrow(19/01/17)
Wish me luck!

PS I'm not taking any pictures because unfortunately I got late and every shop closed, vfs offers to take pictures although at a high cost but still... It's the only option

EDIT: Guys, wanted to inform everyone that make sure to get every page(even blanks) of your every passport(expired, new) xeroxed as they ask for it.
My application is currently being processed at Chandighar.