+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Canadian Work Permit & PR with a UK Criminal Record

award74

Oct 10, 2018
Hi,
I was just wondering if i could get anyone's opinion who has successfully received a work permit or LMIA in Canada having a criminal record from London, UK?

I was convicted of 'Fraud by Abuse of Position' in March 2015 and was sentenced for 18 months imprisonment for which I served 9 months in prison, I was released in December 2015 and rest of the 9 months of the remaining sentence, I was monitored outside under the supervision of my local Probation officer for which I attended the Local Probation Officer every fortnight until the completion of 18 months which was September 2016. So today exactly 2 years & 1 month has completed.

I now have my Police Clearance Certificate from UK. I am now applying for a Work Permit (LMIA) in CANADA. Will this criminal record affect my application for Work Permit (LMIA) in Canada or will this record affect in applying my Permanent Residency? Some lawyer/ consultant from Canada insisted me to apply for a pardon in UK for the criminal offence I had in past. I feel I have a strong argument for why there is zero chance of re offending, I can get multiple character references too and a PCC from my home country where I have migrated back in January 2017.

To those who expertise in this matter, please let me know the accurate & factual information as requested.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I was just wondering if i could get anyone's opinion who has successfully received a work permit or LMIA in Canada having a criminal record from London, UK?

I was convicted of 'Fraud by Abuse of Position' in March 2015 and was sentenced for 18 months imprisonment for which I served 9 months in prison, I was released in December 2015 and rest of the 9 months of the remaining sentence, I was monitored outside under the supervision of my local Probation officer for which I attended the Local Probation Officer every fortnight until the completion of 18 months which was September 2016. So today exactly 2 years & 1 month has completed.

I now have my Police Clearance Certificate from UK. I am now applying for a Work Permit (LMIA) in CANADA. Will this criminal record affect my application for Work Permit (LMIA) in Canada or will this record affect in applying my Permanent Residency? Some lawyer/ consultant from Canada insisted me to apply for a pardon in UK for the criminal offence I had in past. I feel I have a strong argument for why there is zero chance of re offending, I can get multiple character references too and a PCC from my home country where I have migrated back in January 2017.

To those who expertise in this matter, please let me know the accurate & factual information as requested.
Hi

You are likely inadmissible to Canada until 5 years from the end of your sentence. You need to equate your conviction with the equivalent laws in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the above. You are inadmissible to Canada at this time - which means the work permit will be refused. You will need to apply for rehabilitation and be approved before you can enter Canada. However you won't qualify to apply for rehabilitation until 5 years have passed since you completed your probation. So you are looking at September 2021 before you will qualify to apply for rehabilitation.

The multiple reference and PCC from your home country unfortunately won't help you. The issue is that you are currently inadmissible and don't meet the requirements to apply for rehabilitation.

Did any of the lawyers you spoke to walk you through the above? (They should have.)

Kiki-Larosa

Apr 22, 2019
Hi,

Any update from your post? Did you apply or gave up? If you applied what was the response? thanks

Kiki-Larosa

Apr 22, 2019
We don’t live together. We are not married. I have known him since we were kids and started dating 2 years ago. When he first got arrested I was not with him . We trying to make a life together Canada is not the only place I am considering there are other countries which like Singapore, the Netherlands, Ireland, South Africa, China that I am considering who are not strict on this criminal record thing that my partner has. On top of that I need to choose a country we’re i will continue my job in preclinical formulation so it depends on a lot. I was asking checking my options here. Thanks tho for you help as you have been replying to my other threads.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We don’t live together. We are not married. I have known him since we were kids and started dating 2 years ago. When he first got arrested I was not with him . We trying to make a life together Canada is not the only place I am considering there are other countries which like Singapore, the Netherlands, Ireland, South Africa, China that I am considering who are not strict on this criminal record thing that my partner has. On top of that I need to choose a country we’re i will continue my job in preclinical formulation so it depends on a lot. I was asking checking my options here. Thanks tho for you help as you have been replying to my other threads.
Sounds like his crimes are pretty recent. Depending on the charge Canada is likely not possible.