+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying before/right after graduation

titaniom89

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Hi,

I am M.Sc. student and have already completed 4 semesters of my study but wouldn't be able to graduate until Aug. 2010. After graduation, I would definitely start my Ph.D. degree at the same university working as a Research Assistant. Here are my two questions

1) Can I apply for PR under CEC right after I graduated on Aug. 2010 since I will gain 1 year of full time experience within 2 years of applying? I read a similar sentence in the cic website regarding the work experience. I guess it means that you don't need to have the experience right now but you must gain it within two years!
2) Lets assume that I can apply under the aforementioned conditions. Since I will graduate 8 months later and have already completed 16 months of my post secondary study and also I still would be able to complete 1 year of full time experience within 2 years of applying, I wonder if I can apply NOW before being graduated?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To apply under CEC, you need to have 1 year full time work experience AFTER you graduated. Therefore, you can not apply right after you graduate with your MSc. based on work experience you intend to gain but do not have yet.

After you work as an RA for one year, you should be able to apply, counting your MSc. as your 2(+) years of studies and your RA as your work experience.

If you have found any references on the CIC website about being able to apply based on work experience you don't already have, please post the link.

titaniom89

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Thank you Leon for the reply,

Here it is: cic.gc.ca -> immigrate -> cec -> graduates . It says "Your work experience must be gained within two years of the time you applied".

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
well i guess it means that there shouldn't be more than two yrs of gap b/w ur work xperience and application for the PR.

what do u say Leon?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, what they mean is that your work experience can not be more than 2 years in the past at the time you apply. If people were allowed to apply using work experience they haven't gained yet, you might as well extend that to skilled worker and give yourself 100 points based on all the Phd's and work experience you plan to have in the future. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way :)

titaniom89

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
I guess if they wanted to imply this meaning, they should have said "Your work experience must have been gained ..."

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
well said Leon... :D

if they accept it then i would be the 1st one to apply under this condition/category :p

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
well..
let's try it out... ::)
u apply with this assumed work xperience that u'll gain in future.. :-\

n if u get the visa.. ;)

do let me know... :p

titaniom89

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Sibtain,

There is no point to humiliate someone. The sentence is really confusing and doesn't make sense at all. I asked some Canadians regarding the meaning and they all agreed with me. Anyway, thanks for your response

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
titaniom89 said:
I guess if they wanted to imply this meaning, they should have said "Your work experience must have been gained ..."
Yes, they could have worded it better but if you look at the application guide at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5609E.PDF they say there at the top of page 5:

Applicants must also have:
Temporary Foreign Workers

24 months of work experience within the last 36 months.

Graduates

12 months of qualifying work experience within the last 24 months, and

graduated from a recognized post-secondary educational institution and obtained the necessary Canadian educational credential.
To me, it's common sense that you can not use credentials and experience you haven't gained yet because there is no guarantee that you will gain it. The day after you apply, you could become seriously ill or have an accident and be off work for months.