16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
25-02-2017 (BG IP: 25-02-2017, BG NA: 09-03-2017, BG IP2: 25-03-2017)
prijap said:
Thanx guys for d input...better i'll look for more appropriate NOC title for my job profile.
If you want, you can share your field and job duties and some of us may be able to help you figuring out what NOC would probably fit.

prijap

Apr 11, 2017
samanta60 said:
If you want, you can share your field and job duties and some of us may be able to help you figuring out what NOC would probably fit.
Sure that'll be great! I have done PhD in Chemistry with 4 years postdoc experience (Drug design and theoretical chemistry) in home country (Not in Canada). I had been a graduate exchange fellow with canadian commonwealth scholarship in Saskatchewan for 10+ months.

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
prijap said:
Sure that'll be great! I have done PhD in Chemistry with 4 years postdoc experience (Drug design and theoretical chemistry) in home country (Not in Canada). I had been a graduate exchange fellow with canadian commonwealth scholarship in Saskatchewan for 10+ months.
So you were postdoc outside of Canada and exchange student in Canada? Were you paid by the Canadian university?
and do you know what are the NOC codes that you may choose from?

prijap

Apr 11, 2017
samanta60 said:
So you were postdoc outside of Canada and exchange student in Canada? Were you paid by the Canadian university?
and do you know what are the NOC codes that you may choose from?
Yes I was and exchange student at UofS in d year 2011 with Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship. It was funded by Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE), on behalf of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).I think NOC 2011 (for Chemists) will be d most appropriate for my experience.I guess my experience letter shouldn't include my guest lecturer experience as it may create confusion with NOC 4011 (for university professors and lecturers).

samanta60

Sep 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
AOR Received.
16-01-2017
IELTS Request
19-02-2017
File Transfer...
23-02-2017
Med's Done....
prijap said:
Yes I was and exchange student at UofS in d year 2011 with Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship. It was funded by Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE), on behalf of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).I think NOC 2011 (for Chemists) will be d most appropriate for my experience.I guess my experience letter shouldn't include my guest lecturer experience as it may create confusion with NOC 4011 (for university professors and lecturers).
Were you on work permit in Canada? I am asking because you say you were an exchange student. I am not an expert, but I am wondering if exchange student experience would even be considered as work experience?
Have you checked that?

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
Janaki Iyer said:
I'm a postdoc myself and I'm using 2121 which is the NOC code for biologists but my job duties match that exactly. What faculty are you from?
Hi,

This is Uma, a PDF with a job offer, waiting for my TRV and joining my new position in Canada soon.

I would like to apply for the PR. I am confused with the NOC, as many of the members in the forum indicate 4011 as a kind of 'default' NOC. Similar to you, I feel that 2121 would be the appropriate NOC for my job title. I got my PhD in 2014 from a Korean University in Marine Sciences and currently acquired nearly 2.5 years of PDF experience in non-Canadian institutions. Now seeking to start my position within a month and planning to apply for PR. Could you share your experience in a timely manner?

Thanks in advance.

Sepide

May 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my PhD at the University of Calgary (will be defending my thesis in 2 months) and I have a postdoctoral offer from Montreal.

My question is that, am I eligible to apply right away after my PhD is done or do I have to wait for one year (in order to get the one-year job experience) and then apply?
Also, is postdoc even being considered as a job experience? I'm asking because I didn't see it in the NOC.

Sepide

May 16, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my PhD at the University of Calgary (will be defending my thesis in 2 months) and I have a postdoctoral offer from Montreal.

My question is that, am I eligible to apply right away after my PhD is done or do I have to wait for one year (in order to get the one-year job experience) and then apply?
Also, is postdoc even being considered as a job experience? I'm asking because I didn't see it in the NOC.

Canada247

Star Member
Apr 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

NOC 4011. You have to wait one year if you wan to apply under the Canadian experience class

Canada247

Star Member
Apr 10, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

I won't have any teaching responsibilities during my postdoc, am I still eligible for NOC 4011?
If your proposed postdoctoral training is in a university, then you are advised to use NOC 4011 . http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp. You don't have to be in class physically teaching students. Tasks like showing masters, phd or undergrad students in your lab how to perform simple lab procedures count as teaching; you have a year to get involved in that. However, some people have reported success with using NOC that matched their doctoral degrees provided the duties also matched. BTW, I assumed your postdoc is lab based, if not, you could extrapolate the information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cinder2017

Sepide

May 16, 2017
If your proposed postdoctoral training is in a university, then you are advised to use NOC 4011 . http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp. You don't have to be in class physically teaching students. Tasks like showing masters, phd or undergrad students in your lab how to perform simple lab procedures count as teaching; you have a year to get involved in that. However, some people have reported success with using NOC that matched their doctoral degrees provided the duties also matched. BTW, I assumed your postdoc is lab based, if not, you could extrapolate the information.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. Yes, my postdoc is lab-based and I assume I'll be training students, same as what I've done in the past 5-6 years of my PhD.

One last question, if I want to apply through Federal Skilled Workers, do I still need to wait for that one year of postdoc? Because right now my scores are high enough to get invited but I don't have one year job experience (Canadian or foreign).

Canada247

Star Member
Apr 10, 2017
Thank you very much for the detailed information. Yes, my postdoc is lab-based and I assume I'll be training students, same as what I've done in the past 5-6 years of my PhD.

One last question, if I want to apply through Federal Skilled Workers, do I still need to wait for that one year of postdoc? Because right now my scores are high enough to get invited but I don't have one year job experience (Canadian or foreign).
If you don't have one year Canadian or foreign work experience, then I'm afraid you would not be able to meet the minimum eligibility criteria for CEC or FSW, regardless of your score.

guru319

Jun 7, 2017
Hi

As far as I know, to apply as postdoc using NOC 4011, it is not necessary to have something like 30 hour/week teaching. Many postdocs in Canada do not even have teaching duties. The thing is in some cases 4011 is the closest or the only match among the NOCs for postdoc, while the description of NOC 4011 involves teaching a lot. From my point of view, here the problem is not postdoc job duties, but lack of a suitable NOC (I hope CIC resolves this in future).

To deal with this, many postdocs mention the duties such as (co-)supervision of grad (or undergrad) students, giving lectures/seminars in group or whatever level, conducting lab sessions or discussion groups, mentoring students, advising students in their technical and/or theoretical study or research matters, etc.
(If you look at NOC 4011 description, you may see duties similar to these there, listed as expected duties. If you can have enough or many of the duties mentioned in your NOC, then the officer will look at that and at your reference letter and will say mmmm, looks good).

So depending on what you are doing in your postdoc, find the closest NOC and try to have a reference letter from your supervisor that matches say 70% (or more or less) to the NOC description.
Your supervisor may ask you (or you may suggest them) to prepare a draft letter for them to review and sign, which would be great. because then you can describe your duties well to show it matches the NOC pretty well.

Good luck!
Hi Samanta,
I worked in Canada as a postdoc for two years, I got ITA few days ago. This is what written in the CIC website, "For post-doctoral fellows who are employed by a Canadian university or educational institution, the 2011 NOC code should be 4011." However, as a postdoc, its difficult to match my duties with the ones written under 4011. Most of my duties matches with 2147. I am confused which NOC to select. Anyone got any suggestions?