+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply Spouse open work permit at arrival

Bryan Binh

Aug 21, 2019
Hello everyone

My wife has study visa and we will fly together to Canada next month. I already have visitor visa 3 years ago and just renewed valid until 2027.

Can I apply for SOWP at AIRPORT arrival in the same time my wife apply for study permit?

I read someone say: You have the option of applying for your work permit (spousal) at the border or port of entry - and obtaining it the same day - if you are TRV-exempt, meaning either:

1. You are a citizen of a TRV-exempt country, OR
  2. You are a citizen of a TRV-required country, and are re-entering Canada solely from the US
So if i am a citizen of a TRV-required country, i could only apply inland either online or Canada - US land border, is it correct?

Thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone

My wife has study visa and we will fly together to Canada next month. I already have visitor visa 3 years ago and just renewed valid until 2027.

Can I apply for SOWP at AIRPORT arrival in the same time my wife apply for study permit?

I read someone say: You have the option of applying for your work permit (spousal) at the border or port of entry - and obtaining it the same day - if you are TRV-exempt, meaning either:

1. You are a citizen of a TRV-exempt country, OR
  2. You are a citizen of a TRV-required country, and are re-entering Canada solely from the US
So if i am a citizen of a TRV-required country, i could only apply inland either online or Canada - US land border, is it correct?

Thanks a lot
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but you can only get a work permit at a POE if you are from a visa-exempt country, your employer has a positive LMIA (if required) and you have a job offer. If you applied for a visitor visa you must be from a country that requires a visa or else you only would need an ETA to fly to Canada.