+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply PR Card Renew Before Meeting 730 Days Residency Mandate

RaviSapra

Jan 23, 2023
Hi All,

This may sound like a silly question but still need your guidance on it as I am confused about my situation. Here goes my doubt followed by the question..

After getting my CoPR, I did soft landing in Canada in July 2018. So my PR card expiry is July 2023. However, I came to Canada for good in Aug 2021 so by July 2023, I still need 30 more days to fulfill my 730 days of mandate to renew my residency.

I asked a question about that in this forum earlier and seniors suggested that even if my PR card expires in July 2023, I can still reside in Canada after that and once I get my 730 days mandate fulfilled say by Aug 2023, I can reapply for my PR card. Kindly confirm if my understanding here is correct here.

Now coming to my silly question - If I plan to travel outside Canada before that, can I apply for the renew of my PR card before completing my 730 days mandate or do I need to wait for 730 days to renew my card? Kindly confirm on this.

Waiting for your responses and thank you as always!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

This may sound like a silly question but still need your guidance on it as I am confused about my situation. Here goes my doubt followed by the question..

After getting my CoPR, I did soft landing in Canada in July 2018. So my PR card expiry is July 2023. However, I came to Canada for good in Aug 2021 so by July 2023, I still need 30 more days to fulfill my 730 days of mandate to renew my residency.

I asked a question about that in this forum earlier and seniors suggested that even if my PR card expires in July 2023, I can still reside in Canada after that and once I get my 730 days mandate fulfilled say by Aug 2023, I can reapply for my PR card. Kindly confirm if my understanding here is correct here.

Now coming to my silly question - If I plan to travel outside Canada before that, can I apply for the renew of my PR card before completing my 730 days mandate or do I need to wait for 730 days to renew my card? Kindly confirm on this.

You asked this quesiton elsewhere so largely to repeat:
-you can live in Canada with no issues whatsoever without a card.

-it seems you were out of Canada for more than 1095 days between july 2018 and august 2021 (and now too basically). If so you are out of compliance and should wait before applying.

-if you were not out of Canada more than 1095 days, you can apply now (as still in compliance).

-if you travel before after your card expires and before you get a new one (ie July) you'd have to apply for a PRTD. This could take quite a while and even result in a refusal/loss of PR status because out of compliance. Not recommended. Getting delayed for quite a while is a real risk.

-if you can travel back trhough land border (i.e. USA), you'd have less risk of an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

pR card expiry is usually a 5 years and a few months after you landed. If you landed in July 2018 it would be very unusual for your PR card to expire in July 2023.

Agree that you should only apply early if you can meet the 730 days within the first 5 years from landing. After the first 5 years you must meet the 730 in 5 years on any day. If you leave so soon after renewing your card will you remain compliant with your RO? Often people lose the initial days they landed first. For example you would lose the ability to count the days from July/August/September 2018 if you want to leave Canada in for August/September 2023.

Reactions: RaviSapra

RaviSapra

Jan 23, 2023
pR card expiry is usually a 5 years and a few months after you landed. If you landed in July 2018 it would be very unusual for your PR card to expire in July 2023.

Agree that you should only apply early if you can meet the 730 days within the first 5 years from landing. After the first 5 years you must meet the 730 in 5 years on any day. If you leave so soon after renewing your card will you remain compliant with your RO? Often people lose the initial days they landed first. For example you would lose the ability to count the days from July/August/September 2018 if you want to leave Canada in for August/September 2023.
Thank you. This was very helpful. Just one more question - do I need to provide PCC from my home country for the PR renew as well ?
I provided one when I got the PR in 2018.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. This was very helpful. Just one more question - do I need to provide PCC from my home country for the PR renew as well ?
No, you don't need to provide PCC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Follow the PR card renewals instructions for all the documents needed.