+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply online for Permanent Residency Travel Document (PRTD)

aha_1988

Aug 22, 2017
Hi,

Is there any way to apply for PRTD online?
I will leave Canada before receiving my PR card.
I am travelling to a country where Canada does not have a consulate, so I can't apply for PRTD in person.

Is applying online for TRPD an option?

Thanks

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi,

Is there any way to apply for PRTD online?
I will leave Canada before receiving my PR card.
I am travelling to a country where Canada does not have a consulate, so I can't apply for PRTD in person.

Is applying online for TRPD an option?

Thanks
No online applications.

Choose the relevant country here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

Most likely, you will have to courier your PRTD application to the nearest VAC, even if it's outside the country. It may be possible there is a VAC in that country even if a Canadian consulate is not present.

If you'll be returning to Canada in about 2 months, you also have the option of having someone courier you the PR card from inside Canada.

aha_1988

Aug 22, 2017
No online applications.
Most likely, you will have to courier your PRTD application to the nearest VAC, even if it's outside the country. It may be possible there is a VAC in that country even if a Canadian consulate is not present.
How can I figure out that a VAC accepts mail or courier delivery? (I’m looking at Dubai and Turkey here)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
How can I figure out that a VAC accepts mail or courier delivery? (I’m looking at Dubai and Turkey here)
The respective websites can be found by following the links, but I understand the information on the VFS websites can be severely lacking. You can attempt to contact them to ask, but there's no reason they wouldn't. That's the point of a VAC.

PranitaJ

Feb 12, 2018
No online applications.

Choose the relevant country here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

If you'll be returning to Canada in about 2 months, you also have the option of having someone courier you the PR card from inside Canada.

Hi,

This is regarding PRTD application. If the vfs center near me is accepting prtd application via courier, what way do they accept the fees in that case?

Hera2017

Jun 28, 2017
No online applications.

Hi,

According to Settlement.org, you take a risk if a friend couriered your PR Card to you. You may face some obstcles entering Canada. They suggest you apply for a PRTD at your nearest VAC.

If Any one experienced returing to Canada using the Couriered PR Card without applying for the PRTD, plz share with us your experience. Let us know what happened in the Canadian port of entry, did they ask why you did not apply for a PRTD, and did they then let you in or ask you to leave to another country and apply for the PRTD over there?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hi,

According to Settlement.org, you take a risk if a friend couriered your PR Card to you. You may face some obstcles entering Canada. They suggest you apply for a PRTD at your nearest VAC.

If Any one experienced returing to Canada using the Couriered PR Card without applying for the PRTD, plz share with us your experience. Let us know what happened in the Canadian port of entry, did they ask why you did not apply for a PRTD, and did they then let you in or ask you to leave to another country and apply for the PRTD over there?
Why would they get into trouble? Its not against the law to courier PR cards and Permanent Residents have a right to enter Canada, they cant be told to go back to their country and apply for a PRTD.

Hera2017

Jun 28, 2017
Why would they get into trouble? Its not against the law to courier PR cards and Permanent Residents have a right to enter Canada, they cant be told to go back to their country and apply for a PRTD.
FYI, I preferred to apply for a PRTV at my nearest VAC, and I got it yesterday. It took a month from application submission to collection.

Reactions: John013

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
FYI, I preferred to apply for a PRTV at my nearest VAC, and I got it yesterday. It took a month from application submission to collection.
Cool, what VAC did you apply at?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Saudi Arabia.

To correct my previous comment. The process took only 3 weeks.
Oh nice, doesnt sound too bad. Im going to apply for a PRTD at the VAC in Dusseldorf in the coming week. Also hope for a 2-3 weeks processing time. Did they just charge you the VAC processing fee?

Hera2017

Jun 28, 2017
Oh nice, doesnt sound too bad. Im going to apply for a PRTD at the VAC in Dusseldorf in the coming week. Also hope for a 2-3 weeks processing time. Did they just charge you the VAC processing fee?

There is a VAC fee and a PRTV processing fee: 60 + 50 CAD respectively.

Hera2017

Jun 28, 2017

It may take less than 3 weeks if your VAC is close to the Canadian Embassy. In my case, the VAC is 500km far from the embassy, meaning the courier takes time too.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
There is a VAC fee and a PRTV processing fee: 60 + 50 CAD respectively.
Oh ok. But for the PRTD fee you just pay it online on the IRCC and include the payment receipt with the application, right? Or pay both at once at the VAC?