+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PR for husband and travel abroad!!

frnd123

Jun 7, 2008
Dear Everyone,

I and my husband did civil marriage in April. He stays in US. I am a PR of canada. I am going to file PR for him. The problem is i am planning to go to India in june end after applying for my husband PR for around 2 months. We are planning to do religious wedding in India. Pls suggest if that may be problem for my husband PR .

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,

Anu

jr23

Nov 1, 2008
Hi Anu,

I have a similar issue, can you please let me know how you solved the problem?

I am in the US, I have Canadian PR, plan to move to Canada, put in sponsorship application for wife and then go home to attend the family/traditional celebrations and then travel back to US (on a student visa) until wife's PR application gets processed.

cheers,

pea

Apr 23, 2008
Hi both,

I think you can travel after your have submitted your application, so if you want to go to indian for 2 months, it's fine as long as you can still receive letters etc as you might get a letter from them asking for more documents/info/passport and photo and yóu'll need to be able to act swiftly.

However, from what I've read, if you are a PR not a citizen, you can only sponsor your family member(s) if you live in Canada, so if you live in the US, I'm not sure if you can sponsor. Read the guidelines again just to be sure.

Hope this helps.

p

jr23

Nov 1, 2008
Hi Pea,

Thanks, so what I was thinking is that I move to Canada in May 2009 (after I finish my Master's) and either get a job or rent an apartment for one year to show that I intent to live in Canada. I will then submit my application for my wife's sponsorship and get any correspondence delivered to me in Sri Lanka where I am from. I'll be out of Canada for about 2 months...and then return with my wife... So I will be in Canada when I sponsor.

How else should I prove intent to live in Canada? I really don't want to be separated from my wife so am desperately looking for options to find a way to apply for PR for her and be together with her.

thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a PR, you can not sponsor your wife unless you are yourself living in Canada. If you were a citizen, you could and then you would have to show intent to live in Canada after she gets PR but as a PR yourself, you have to be physicially living here at the time you sponsor. If your wife can get a visit visa to come to Canada, you could apply inland, that way she doesn't have to leave you. If she can't get a visit visa, you can move to Canada, start outland sponsorship and then apply for her visit visa with dual intent.

corpus

Dec 24, 2008
Hi
I have read it at many places including in this thread that in order to sponsor your spouce you need to be in Canada if you have a PR and not a citizenship. Which i undestand is correct but my question is how does imigration know if you are in canada or not. If i am living with my relatives and have a address where my letters will be picked up in case they try to contact for additional documentation and someone to answer the phone if they try to contact me by phone then can i stay outside canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will ask for you tax info for sponsorship. If you are not working in Canada, they might be suspiciuous you don't live here. Maybe you can get away with it but if you are caught lying to immigration, you could be in trouble.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
They can also attempt to contact you in Canada, and if you are not residing there your sponsorship can be refused. Be aware, also, that even after approval at CPC-Mississauga, the overseas visa officer will assess the eligibility of the sponsor, too, so it's not like you're safe just because the application has gotten through the first assessment. It might be okay to take a short trip - like frnd123 mentioned for the religious wedding ceremony in India - but the sponsor must return to Canada and be living/working in Canada throughout the assessment period in order to be eligible.

It would probably be wiser, in frnd123's case, to go to India for the religious ceremony BEFORE filing the PR ap . . . which also gives you additional proof of your "genuine relationship" to submit with the ap.