+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PR card renewal before 9 months of expiration

dell

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering if I could apply for my PR card renewal before 9 months of expiration ? I was planning on travelling to my home country right around the expiration date of my PR card. Is it okay to do so ? I have seen some threads where people have been waiting for their PR card for 2 years, etc so I was getting a little worried.

hukof10th

Mar 7, 2017
no you can't. you can only apply before 6 months of expiration and if you insist, they will just return the application to you.

what you can do is to book the flight, and in your application attach your ticket confirmation and credit card bill, and ask for urgent process. even if it's not really really tight urgent, it will make sure they will take your travel into account.

sure, you have to make sure you meet the RO by far at the time of your renewal(signature date) if you don't want to have troubles.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dell said:
I was wondering if I could apply for my PR card renewal before 9 months of expiration ? I was planning on travelling to my home country right around the expiration date of my PR card. Is it okay to do so ? I have seen some threads where people have been waiting for their PR card for 2 years, etc so I was getting a little worried.
You can expect the app to be returned if you apply early.

If you don't have a valid card when you travel, you can apply for a PRTD in your home country in order to return to Canada.

hukof10th said:
no you can't. you can only apply before 6 months of expiration and if you insist, they will just return the application to you.

what you can do is to book the flight, and in your application attach your ticket confirmation and credit card bill, and ask for urgent process. even if it's not really really tight urgent, it will make sure they will take your travel into account.
A person can apply for renewal 9 months before expiry.

IRCC won't care what OP's travel date is and will NOT process the app urgently. They have now seriously limited the grounds for urgent processing; they were probably tired of people using the urgent process for normal travel http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp.

To qualify for urgent processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:

your own serious illness,
the serious illness of a family member,
the death of a family member;
a job opportunity, or
work related to your current job.

PrinceOfPersia

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga/London
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
Doc's Request.
10-03-2017
AOR Received.
02-03-2017;SA Received.:06-03-17
File Transfer...
15-05-2017
Med's Request
15-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-03-2017;Med's Passed.:28-03-17
Passport Req..
14-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2017
Hey Guys,

My PR is expiring this November and I have about 8 months to renew and I believe I'm eligible to apply. Is it okay for me to go ahead and apply for renewal or do I still have to wait for another 2 months to apply so that it'll expire in 6 months.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!