+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Postdoc visa From South Korea with family

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
Is there anyone who applied from south Korea recently with family for a postdoc? How long did it take?

I have submitted a two-week processing letter also during the application along with an upfront medical test and police clearance.

Does the two-week processing letter work?

Thanks for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is there anyone who applied from south Korea recently with family for a postdoc? How long did it take?

I have submitted a two-week processing letter also during the application along with an upfront medical test and police clearance.

Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "two week processing letter".

You cannot request faster processing by IRCC. They will process at their own speed based on application volumes. Generally speaking, work permits are taking several months right now.

Reactions: Naturgrl

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
I'm not sure what you mean by a "two week processing letter".

You cannot request faster processing by IRCC. They will process at their own speed based on application volumes. Generally speaking, work permits are taking several months right now.
oh! The university gave me "Letter of Support - Two week processing" which contains a postdoc that can fall under the support of two weeks processing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
oh! The university gave me "Letter of Support - Two week processing" which contains a postdoc that can fall under the support of two weeks processing.
Ah - understood.

There's some chance your application may be processed within a matter of weeks. However most applicants on here who qualify for the faster processing are still waiting several months. So just be prepared for that possibility.

Good luck.

Reactions: kBoy20

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
Ah - understood.

There's some chance your application may be processed within a matter of weeks. However most applicants on here who qualify for the faster processing are still waiting several months. So just be prepared for that possibility.

Good luck.
That's sad. I don't know why they are slow! On the contrary, US visa is much faster and hassle-free than Canada. My colleague got him and his family visa on the day of the interview (2 weeks after the file submission).

tidus_ff

Apr 21, 2022
Just for your reference. I also had a job offer in academia and got a support letter. However, I have been waiting for 4 months without any updates.....

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
Just for your reference. I also had a job offer in academia and got a support letter. However, I have been waiting for 4 months without any updates.....
Oh! That's really sad.

btw, Which university did you get your offer from? and Which department?

What is your tentative joining date?

Can your share the timeline that you covered so far?

Which country are you applying from?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's sad. I don't know why they are slow! On the contrary, US visa is much faster and hassle-free than Canada. My colleague got him and his family visa on the day of the interview (2 weeks after the file submission).
I disagree with you about the US. The barriers to getting a work permit are higher / more difficult. I'm trying to get a US work permit from Toronto right now and the wait times are 8+ months for interivews. I previously held a US work permit and still need to go through the interview. It's an extremely extremely painful process and I don't have the option just to apply at the border (as Americans do for Canadian work permits).

If your entire family qualifies for an eTA, the other option would be to fly to Canada on the eTA and apply for the work permit at the border. This option is available to you to as long as you qualify for eTAs. That is your fast option for Canada. This option does not exist for the US which is why their process is so much more painful.

tidus_ff

Apr 21, 2022
Oh! That's really sad.

btw, Which university did you get your offer from? and Which department?

What is your tentative joining date?

Can your share the timeline that you covered so far?

Which country are you applying from?

Thanks.
I was supposed to start in July but am still waiting.....

I agree with Scylla. South Korea is eTA so you can apply for the work permit at the port of entry. You can get your work permit when you enter Canada. That saves a lot of time indeed.

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
I was supposed to start in July but am still waiting.....

I agree with Scylla. South Korea is eTA so you can apply for the work permit at the port of entry. You can get your work permit when you enter Canada. That saves a lot of time indeed.
Which country did you apply from? and which university are you going to join?

iven_ggb

Nov 19, 2022

Thanks for your help.
I applied in the UK. The 2-week letter request didn't work but my processing time was 8 weeks after biometrics which is slightly shorter than the 12/13 weeks shown on their website.

kBoy20

Nov 17, 2022
I applied in the UK. The 2-week letter request didn't work but my processing time was 8 weeks after biometrics which is slightly shorter than the 12/13 weeks shown on their website.
Wow! Congratulations! Which university are you going to join?