+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for OWP without PR AOR

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Hi all, have a couple of questions. Like the title says, I sponsored my spouse's PR Application Online in early June and haven't received AOR until now.

My spouse is on a Visitor's visa and can stay in the country for 2 more months.

1. IRCC's website says, we can only apply for OWP only after getting an AOR and that too only online. Is there any exception to apply without an AOR?

2. We'll need to apply for Visitor record soon. Can we apply this without the AOR?
  1. If yes, how do we mention that we didn't get an AOR?
  2. How many days can we request in the application form for period of stay?
3. Is it better to withdraw the online application and re-apply as paper based, since paper based applicants have been getting AORs in less than 1 month?

Thank you!

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think you can apply to extend his/her stay. (So s/he will continue with a valid visitor status)
When you get AOR, your spouse will have valid status and can apply for OWP.

We have seen some very fast online applications as well. So it's hard to tell which one is faster.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you submit an Inland or Outland application? Outland (even if you are both IN Canada) is typically faster, but the applicant would not be eligible for the OWP.

If Inland, it's too bad you didn't include the OWP application WITH the sponsorship application; would have given your spouse `Maintained Status' (formerly known as Implied Status), meaning that there would be no need to extend their visitor status. Might be worth considering cancelling/reapplying with the OWP, since it's only been a couple of months?

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
1. I don't think there are exceptions to this.
2.1. It seems to me that you can apply for the visitor extension without the AOR, maybe you'd like to attach other form of proof that you applied online (like a screenshot of the web portal?) and attach a letter or explanation saying that you have applied.
2.2 request at least a year to extend the visitor status.
3. Probably you shouldn't withdraw, maybe the AOR will come to you soon. But it is up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Did you submit an Inland or Outland application? Outland (even if you are both IN Canada) is typically faster, but the applicant would not be eligible for the OWP.

If Inland, it's too bad you didn't include the OWP application WITH the sponsorship application; would have given your spouse `Maintained Status' (formerly known as Implied Status), meaning that there would be no need to extend their visitor status. Might be worth considering cancelling/reapplying with the OWP, since it's only been a couple of months?
It was an inland application but there's no option to apply for OWP along with PR in the new online portal. AFAIK it can only be applied online after receiving the AOR.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
I think you can apply to extend his/her stay. (So s/he will continue with a valid visitor status)
When you get AOR, your spouse will have valid status and can apply for OWP.

We have seen some very fast online applications as well. So it's hard to tell which one is faster.
Does receiving AOR give you an implied status? I thought we had to apply for Visitor record to extend the stay?

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
1. I don't think there are exceptions to this.
2.1. It seems to me that you can apply for the visitor extension without the AOR, maybe you'd like to attach other form of proof that you applied online (like a screenshot of the web portal?) and attach a letter or explanation saying that you have applied.
2.2 request at least a year to extend the visitor status.
3. Probably you shouldn't withdraw, maybe the AOR will come to you soon. But it is up to you.
Thanks, I believe it's too late to reapply, I'll just wait it out. I was also planning to attach a screenshot of the PR web portal and apply for a visitor visa extension.

RARUETEV

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks, figured as much.
Hi there, I’m going through same situation with my family now. I’m a PR .my spouse and kids are in Canada on visitor status. They have 3 more months of stay. We applied for PR inland paid OWP fee along with app on December 30th, 2022. We have not received any AOR till today. What reason you have kept to extend visitor visa? How long it took for you to get visitor record? Have you received your AOR? Please kindly advise. Thank you.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Hi there, I’m going through same situation with my family now. I’m a PR .my spouse and kids are in Canada on visitor status. They have 3 more months of stay. We applied for PR inland paid OWP fee along with app on December 30th, 2022. We have not received any AOR till today. What reason you have kept to extend visitor visa? How long it took for you to get visitor record? Have you received your AOR? Please kindly advise. Thank you.
Hello, to get my wife's visitor record we told them that we applied for a PR and that she would need atleast another year of extension from the date of visitor record application along with the required proof. We applied on September 7th and got an approval on October 31st for 1 year.

How did you apply OWP along with your PR application? OWP can only be applied if you received an AOR. We received our AOR on September 24th and applied OWP on the 25th. My spouse never received OWP approval and got her PR first in late January. When we called IRCC in mid December, the agent told us that it was taking more than 120 days to get an OWP (at the time) and that she would most likely get PR first. My spouse got her PR on Jan 3rd. We applied to get her OWP fee refund in late December and we still haven't received it.

RARUETEV

Jul 23, 2019
Hello, to get my wife's visitor record we told them that we applied for a PR and that she would need atleast another year of extension from the date of visitor record application along with the required proof. We applied on September 7th and got an approval on October 31st for 1 year.

How did you apply OWP along with your PR application? OWP can only be applied if you received an AOR. We received our AOR on September 24th and applied OWP on the 25th. My spouse never received OWP approval and got her PR first in late January. When we called IRCC in mid December, the agent told us that it was taking more than 120 days to get an OWP (at the time) and that she would most likely get PR first. My spouse got her PR on Jan 3rd. We applied to get her OWP fee refund in late December and we still haven't received it.
Hi , good morning. Thank you for your quick response. We did not apply for OWP but we paid OWP fees only as there was an option during PR application submission to pay OWP fees along with other PR fees.
when you applied for visitor record you mentioned what proof have you submitted when you mentioned that youneed at least 1 year ? Can we say or mention that we need 1 year?Do we have to show proof again that they will leave the country at the end of the visitor visa and show ties with back home?
please kindly suggest. I’msorry I’m bothering you but when I found this thread exactly similar to mysituation I got some hope that I’m not the only one who didn’t get AOR when applied inland for this long. I thought our application would be an easy one as I entered as express entry PR with my family as non accompanying. And they were evaluated both as non accompanying and also for their visitor visas. And we were married for 12 years with dependent children so I thought there would be some kind of consideration when kids are included in the application but looks like it’s not. Pls suggest if there is anything I should know. Im just waiting on God for help. Thank you.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Hi , good morning. Thank you for your quick response. We did not apply for OWP but we paid OWP fees only as there was an option during PR application submission to pay OWP fees along with other PR fees.
when you applied for visitor record you mentioned what proof have you submitted when you mentioned that youneed at least 1 year ? Can we say or mention that we need 1 year?Do we have to show proof again that they will leave the country at the end of the visitor visa and show ties with back home?
please kindly suggest. I’msorry I’m bothering you but when I found this thread exactly similar to mysituation I got some hope that I’m not the only one who didn’t get AOR when applied inland for this long. I thought our application would be an easy one as I entered as express entry PR with my family as non accompanying. And they were evaluated both as non accompanying and also for their visitor visas. And we were married for 12 years with dependent children so I thought there would be some kind of consideration when kids are included in the application but looks like it’s not. Pls suggest if there is anything I should know. Im just waiting on God for help. Thank you.
No worries, happy to help. We submitted a screenshot of the PR portal showing the application as SUBMITTED, Cover letter stating that we applied for PR and that we have no proof except for the screenshot, original visa stamp, passport details and latest bank statements. If I remember correctly we didn't show any proof that my spouse was going to leave the country as one of the requirements for an In-land PR application is that she needs to be inside the country during application process.

Getting an AOR is taking a lof of time lately. You can try calling IRCC and see if they think it's way beyond regular AOR processing times. We got our AOR 2 days after we called and told them it was taking too long and they offered to raise an internal ticket for us. Note that they'll raise an internal ticket only if they think your AOR is delayed.

Edit: Yes, I believe you can enter the dates in the extension application. We entered end of October 2023 and that's what they gave us. You can try requesting more if you want but I think 1 year is enough.