+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for OHIP after landed

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Thanks for the help in advance!

Can new PR apply for OHIP (health insurance) immediately after the PR status confirmed after landing or need to wait for 183 days? I saw some old posts saying can apply directly but I suppose that was a while ago. Nowadays is it compulsory to wait for 183 days before you can apply for OHIP?

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Another follow up question: if OHIP card was received during working visa stage, now after PR, can that card still be used (SIN number is changed already)

aristotelian

Jul 1, 2022
Thanks for the help in advance!

Can new PR apply for OHIP (health insurance) immediately after the PR status confirmed after landing or need to wait for 183 days? I saw some old posts saying can apply directly but I suppose that was a while ago. Nowadays is it compulsory to wait for 183 days before you can apply for OHIP?
You can apply immediately. They waived the requirement.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Scroll down and you'll see this:

There is no waiting period for OHIP.

You do not need to wait to be physically present for the days above before applying.

You can apply for coverage as soon as you arrive in Ontario.

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
You can apply immediately. They waived the requirement.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Scroll down and you'll see this:

There is no waiting period for OHIP.

You do not need to wait to be physically present for the days above before applying.

You can apply for coverage as soon as you arrive in Ontario.
Many thx for your reply.

Those are for emergency authorisation right? Does it apply to normal situation?

Also if applying right after arriving,
  • one document (original, printed or digital/electronic document as noted on the list) that proves your residency in Ontario
How to get the residency proof?