+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for EI without ROE?

rkdgus7585

Apr 19, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there are any ways to apply for EI without getting ROE from my employer. I was laid off during the Covid time but the submission from my employer has been delayed..

And if still needed, can I apply for CRB instead as an alternative? I have worked more than 120 hours in the past 52 weeks so I am just worried that I have to pay all the payment back eventually.

Thanks and let me know

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there are any ways to apply for EI without getting ROE from my employer. I was laid off during the Covid time but the submission from my employer has been delayed..

And if still needed, can I apply for CRB instead as an alternative? I have worked more than 120 hours in the past 52 weeks so I am just worried that I have to pay all the payment back eventually.

Thanks and let me know
If you’re eligible for EI you must apply for your EI benefits first prior to using CRB. CRB is not a substitution for EI.
If your employer has not issued a ROE, you apply for EI, then call ESDC to contact your employer
You apply for CRB when not eligible, you’ll have to pay back that benefit
You don’t pick which benefit you apply for, the Government does

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thanks and let me know
When were you actually laid off? Covid time is not specific. Were you laid off due to covid? When does your employer say that they can give you the ROE? It isn't a very complex document.

rkdgus7585

Apr 19, 2019
If you’re eligible for EI you must apply for your EI benefits first prior to using CRB. CRB is not a substitution for EI.
If your employer has not issued a ROE, you apply for EI, then call ESDC to contact your employer
Hi thank you for your answer. So basically I do not need to directly contact my employer for ROE in this case but the government will. That makes sense. This may sounds like a dumb question but would government know that I'm eligible for EI or not without me applying one? I have gotten the payment from CRB already and if I keep proceed, I'm sure I will have to pay back the benefits but just to make sure.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi thank you for your answer. So basically I do not need to directly contact my employer for ROE in this case but the government will. That makes sense. This may sounds like a dumb question but would government know that I'm eligible for EI or not without me applying one? I have gotten the payment from CRB already and if I keep proceed, I'm sure I will have to pay back the benefits but just to make sure.
You still go online and make an application for EI. The system will scan looking for your ROE. If it’s not found in the system , YOU call in to EI give the agent your information on what you did to obtain your ROE. The Government will not do it for you .They’ll send it off to processing and they’ll look into it . If you don’t call in, your claim will go no where , and claiming benefits when you’re not eligible can cause a HUGE problem for you
As well when you made a claim for CRB, you stated in the questions asked that you were not eligible for EI. It’s your responsibility too look into what you’re eligible for . And yes, the Government will know .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given covid many of the benefits are being paid out immediately and then the determination on whether you actually qualified happens after. When did you arrive in Canada and start working. It seems like it may be October/November. When did you start working?