+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for college while waiting for PR

Gabyor

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
Hello,
I just applied for PR this month AOR November 2020.
I want to apply for a post-grad diploma for the September 2021 intake. I contacted the college and they basically told me that I can apply as an international student for the first term and convert tuition fees to domestic for the second one.
Is this doable without applying for a study permit ? What happens in worse case scenario where PR get delayed beyond september ? Did anyone went through something similar ?
I wanna risk it but at the same time if it's illegal/not a valable solution I won't apply at all.
Thank you

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I just applied for PR this month AOR November 2020.
I want to apply for a post-grad diploma for the September 2021 intake. I contacted the college and they basically told me that I can apply as an international student for the first term and convert tuition fees to domestic for the second one.
Is this doable without applying for a study permit ? What happens in worse case scenario where PR get delayed beyond september ? Did anyone went through something similar ?
I wanna risk it but at the same time if it's illegal/not a valable solution I won't apply at all.
Thank you
You need study permit until you get a PR. You have to demonstrate your ability to fund yourself as any other international student. Your college will not let you enroll in classes, without study permit.

Gabyor

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
You need study permit until you get a PR. You have to demonstrate your ability to fund yourself as any other international student. Your college will not let you enroll in classes, without study permit.
Yeah it makes sense.
What if I apply as a permanent resident ? I guess they would ask for PR proof somewhere around august and by that time I have a fair chance of getting it. But maybe they ask for it way early in the admission process.
I think my best bet is to just wait for another year to apply since I don't have enough money to apply as an international student. What do you think ?

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah it makes sense.
What if I apply as a permanent resident ? I guess they would ask for PR proof somewhere around august and by that time I have a fair chance of getting it. But maybe they ask for it way early in the admission process.
I think my best bet is to just wait for another year to apply since I don't have enough money to apply as an international student. What do you think ?
Applying as PR will be a kind of misrepresentation. I don't know how universities would view that.

My opinion would be to wait until you get PR and then apply for it. However, the decision is yours.