+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Citizenship with expired passport

david1211

Mar 24, 2020
You don't need a valid passport to apply for citizenship. However, you'll have to provide an explanation as to why you don't have a passport when you submit your citizenship application.
Is "having no plans to travel outside Canada during this time" a valid explanation?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, @depenabill. I have just got my PR approved in April this year, my passport from my home country is about to expire. I have decided not to renew my passport just due to 2 reasons:

1. I hate the government of my home country because of their dictatorship and do not want to deal with the embassy at all. I just want to avoid dealing with that ruthless government at all.

2. I have no travel plans outside Canada for the remaining time (less than 2 years) while waiting to be eligible for the Canadian citizenship application.

Will it have any impact on my citizenship in the future without a valid passport from my home country? Please note that I got my PR through Express Entry CEC, and I am not a refugee.

Please give me some advice. Thank you.
I do not do "advice." Besides, the short answer is simple.

The short answer . . .
You don't need a valid passport to apply for citizenship. However, you'll have to provide an explanation as to why you don't have a passport when you submit your citizenship application.
To be clear . . . there is no requirement to have a valid passport, while as a PR, or when applying for citizenship.

But as I already responded in another thread, what is *required* does NOT fully illuminate whether there might be some "impact" on how things go.

It warrants remembering that the questions posed in the application are there for a reason. If asked about it, odds are the answer can . . . well . . . have an impact.

Thus, in particular, whether not having a valid passport will have "an impact," is not so easily answered. For the vast majority, it would be fair to say "probably not," or "not much even if it does." But if not having a valid passport is incongruous with who the applicant is, well, duh, that's likely to trigger a question or three, and whether or not that triggers non-routine processing, requests for additional documents, or such, well, it is going to vary.

If IRCC comes across any indication the applicant was abroad during a period of time the applicant reports not having a valid passport (or other travel document), that will almost certainly trigger questions, questions which could become problematic.

You do not plan to travel, so there should be no concern about the latter. But that's about your particular, actual facts. I do not do "advice." My observations are aimed at sharing general information. It is up to you to sort out and identify what you can about the general information and apply that to your situation yourself.

I believe what I have posted in this topic before fully covers most if not nearly all the angles in regards to this question, in regards to applying for citizenship with having some gap in time during which the applicant did not have a valid passport. Things change, and most of that discussion was four years ago, but a lot does not change much.

In any event, the current application form (bound to be a different one by the time you apply), for example, requires the applicant to explain why he or she does not or did not have a currently valid passport for any period of time during the eligibility period. The language in the guide for the application varies some from the current application form, but here is how it is stated in the most recent paper version CIT 0002 (10-2020):
"If you do not have a travel document or passport that was/is valid during your five (5) year eligibility period or if there is a gap between your passports, please explain why here."​
And there is a box in which the applicant explains why there is a gap in time during which the applicant has not had a valid passport.

For the explanation: Not a big deal. No need to go into detail. Simply stating that one had a personal preference for not obtaining another passport when the last valid one expired, and that one was not needed since there was no plan to travel internationally, is probably enough of an explanation. Whether or not the total stranger bureaucrats reviewing the application will wonder more about this, and potentially ask questions, well, maybe, who knows, probably varies, probably depends.

So the question might be whether or not it is better for the PR to keep a valid passport, or have a valid passport when applying for citizenship.

As already stated: Canadian PRs are not required by Canadian law to have a valid passport.

I do not know which countries (if any) impose a requirement (whether or not it also enforces it or even can enforce it) that its nationals abroad keep a valid passport (way too many countries with way different laws to keep track of who requires what). Most countries strongly recommend their nationals keep their passports valid while abroad.

BUT of course in real life it is not just about what is required by law. For example, a passport can be an important document to verify identity in various contexts, for various transactions; whether or not an expired passport will suffice depends on the particular context. How important this is for a particular individual can vary. Once a Canadian PR has a valid Canadian drivers license and provincial healthcare coverage card, for example, those in conjunction with the PR card should suffice in most contexts.

Moreover, even though your plan is for NO international travel, it warrants remembering that Canadian PRs, for the most part, must depend on whatever passport they do carry to facilitate whatever international travel they do. And to remember that stuff-happens. Plans are one thing. What happens, often quite another. In any event, while the Canadian government will provide some services for PRs abroad, generally a traveler is dependent on the country's passport of their nationality. International travel is the one key area in which the Canadian Charter distinguishes the protected rights of Canadian citizens (as in it is a Charter right) versus Canadian PRs (international travel is NOT protected under the Charter).

Some individuals, like many refugees, are in no position to travel internationally, at least not for some time after settling in Canada (most may qualify for and obtain special travel documents which can facilitate some limited international travel). For most of them they not only do not need a passport, but obtaining a passport could constitute reavailment of their home country protection (in fact, for most it constitutes a presumption of reavailment) that is grounds for terminating their protected person status, which would automatically terminate their PR status, leading to deportation. So for some PRs, most PR-refugees (protected person status) it is best (even critical) they do not obtain a new passport and do not have a currently valid passport when they apply for citizenship. They still explain why they do not have a valid passport in their application. IRCC officials reviewing the application will obviously understand.

That is not your situation, I understand. It warrants mentioning because, as I noted, when a PR-refugee explains why he or she does not have a valid passport, in their citizenship application, that makes total sense and should not cause a total stranger bureaucrat to so much as wrinkle an eyebrow.

At the other end of the spectrum, however, if the PR is an American citizen whose profession and personal history suggests a life likely to include traveling internationally, but is reporting they have not had a valid passport for years when they apply for citizenship and is reporting no travel outside Canada for years, that's bound to trigger more than a wrinkled eyebrow.

With a lot of variable-wiggle factors in-between. Which is why I do not do "short answers." Short answer here, for example, was simple enough, there is no requirement to have a currently valid passport when applying for citizenship. Not having a currently valid passport will not be a reason an application is denied.

So, again, whether not having a valid passport will have "an impact," is not so easily answered. For the vast majority, it would be fair to say "probably not," or "not much even if it does." But if not having a valid passport is incongruous with who the applicant is, well, duh, that's likely to trigger a question or three, and whether or not that triggers non-routine processing, requests for additional documents, or such, well, it is going to vary.