Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
Hi all,

I'm currently in the a bit of an annoying situation.

I've applied on June 2nd, IP2 July 10th.
I just called CIC. A nice lady informed me that my background check is still in progress, but my eligibility is passed.
Important to know: Currently I'm under the young professional visa, expiring November 20th. I'm also planning a trip to Mexico on December 22nd.

Now, if I understand it correctly, once my PR application is completed, I'll get an invite for a landing for my local office (I assume Calgary since I live there). Then I take my documents & 2 pictures, and I "land" there.
This would need to happen before October 15 (2 months and a bit for PR card to arrive before my trip).

Alternatively, I can apply for a BOWP, but then I would have to land when I come back from Mexico.

Third option: I wait for PR (assuming I get it before November 20, when my current visa expires), and then get a PRTD.

First of all: Any advice in this case? I feel like applying for the BOWP would be the safest bet. In that case, can I reschedule the appointment (until my COPR expires?) or do I have to go to the appointment? Also, if that's the case, how do I provide my pictures etc. when I land on my return from Mexico?

Sorry if I've been unclear!

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
There is another stage to the process.

When PR is approved you get a passport request (PPR). You have 30 days to reply to the PPR email. If you are from a visa exempt country you send a copy of your passport and form, if from any other country you send your passport for stamping and you get back a CoPR which you use for landing this passport process can take some time.

Once you get your CoPR you can land either by flag-poling at a border, re-entering Canada after an overseas trip e.g.Mexico or by requesting a landing interview at an IRCC office. As far as I know you will not get a inland landing interview unless you request one. There was a pilot project of issuing invitations for inland landing interview in March-April 2018 and another short term pilot of landing by telephone which started Nov/Dec 2017.
Once you have landed there is as you say a wait for the PR card, mine took around 3 months to be issued. The length of validity of the CoPR can be limited by the length of validity of other documents e.g. passport, medical.

As you probably know a BOWP application will not be processed until the PR application R10 completeness check is complete but I assume your application is past this stage. BOWP application process times are normally around 60 days. Cost is C$255. Once your BOWP is approved you would be able to travel and then if you have a CoPR by the time of your proposed vacation to Mexico you could land on your return (to Calgary?). From personal experience that would work and would actually save you time arranging to land another way.

HTH Good Luck with the PR process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chef-de-Bureau