+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

apply for a partner work visa

Rimi

Nov 11, 2007
I have just got admission to a post graduate course in Canada. I am in USA currently while my husband is in India. I would like him to join me on a partner work visa, but I am not able to find clear guidelines to it online. Do we have to apply for a visitor visa first and then process work permit when he reaches Canada or can we apply for a work permit for him with my student permit. Please help.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Rimi

Your husband enters as a visitor first and then attaches a copy of your student permit to his application for a work permit. I found this for you: -

Work permits for spouses
Spouses or common-law partners of international students are allowed to apply for a work permit to work on or off campus. Your spouse should enter Canada as a visitor and then can apply for a work permit once he or she is here. Application forms are available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

When your spouse applies for the work permit, he or she will need to provide a legal marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (see the application form for details) along with a copy of your study permit.

I'm not positive but I think you follow the guidelines and forms found on this page of the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp.

Hope that helps.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Gdaymate said:
Hi Rimi

Your husband enters as a visitor first and then attaches a copy of your student permit to his application for a work permit. I found this for you: -

Work permits for spouses
Spouses or common-law partners of international students are allowed to apply for a work permit to work on or off campus. Your spouse should enter Canada as a visitor and then can apply for a work permit once he or she is here. Application forms are available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

When your spouse applies for the work permit, he or she will need to provide a legal marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (see the application form for details) along with a copy of your study permit.

I'm not positive but I think you follow the guidelines and forms found on this page of the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp.

Hope that helps.
It would appear that the spouse is an Indian national, so he will be required to apply for a TRV at Delhi/Chandrigarh. He will need the copy of the study permit as well as the usual documents as to how he will support himself in Canada. He will also require a medical.

PMM