+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply before or after Travel ?

timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Hello Folks,

I have more than 1095 days needed for the application to be submitted.
I have an international travel coming up in 3 weeks time. Will be gone out of the country for about 25 days.

Now, the dilemna is should i apply in the next couple days.... and then travel in December?
Or should i wait until i come back in January and then send the application out?

The only reason that every day really counts is that, my current passport expires in just over an year... and my home country
WILL NOT renew my passport, since for some reason that we are unaware of, we just found out that i was given a Canadian PR
under FCH category.

So, in about 13 months, i will become 'stateless' and i will not be able to travel anywhere until after Canadian citizenship and passport process.

So, what should i do?

I had requested CBSA records and it is unfortunately incomplete :( I have travelled a lot by road to the U.S on day trips since i have a 10 year visa.
I quit my job to stay with the kids as well. So, there seems to be a very good chance of an RQ.

What would be the best course of action here? Apply right away ?? If the CIC hasnt even created a file number when i submit and i have to leave...
i cant call them and inform them ofmy travel to my home country either.
So, should i just wait 2 more months and then apply? I do not intend to travel once i return from my trip in Jan again.

Please advise.

Appreciate your responses!

Thanks!!

aamer43

May 6, 2009
Hi,

My suggestion is to apply before travelling because

1) otherwise you will have to mention this travel in the application too (more travels means more investigations by CIC)

2) if u r already eligible to submit application, there is no point in holding application which is wasting time (sooner the better)

timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Thanks aamer43 for your quick response.

I just completed my residence calculator and it says i have 1426 days of physical presence in Canada!

As i mentioned earlier, the CBSA report only records 50% of the travel dates that i remember. There may be
a couple of dates that i just cant remember...but those are definitely the day trips.

When i filled out my residence calculator, i included all of the day trips that i remember. Should i add a note
or anything to say i may have a couple more day trips that i just cant remember??
Everything from the CBSA records are listed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If you have 1426 days, that I'd say you are in good shape. You have more than enough buffer room even if you missed a few dates.

I'm in a similar boat in the sense that I made a lot of trips to the US for business and to see my family (who resided in the US at the time). So I am dreading that I may get hit with the RQ as well. I recently got my appointment date to write my test. I'm hoping big time that they don't give me an RQ there (I've heard of cases where people got an RQ right before the exam :( )

Good luck!

aamer43

May 6, 2009
Hi,

You don't need to declare day trips, check the below FAQ 9 from CIC website

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq#Q9

Hope it helps