+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for PR without spouse and using open work permit to get her to Canada

dv0790

Sep 28, 2021
Hi All,

I am on closed work permit here in Canada. I had applied for PR without adding my spouse because adding my spouse in my PR application was impacting my points.
Can I invite my spouse(who is outside Canada) on open work permit? Would it affect my PR application(still under process) because I did not add her to my PR application and instead using open work permit to invite her to Canada.

Please help.

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

I am on closed work permit here in Canada. I had applied for PR without adding my spouse because adding my spouse in my PR application was impacting my points.
Can I invite my spouse(who is outside Canada) on open work permit? Would it affect my PR application(still under process) because I did not add her to my PR application and instead using open work permit to invite her to Canada.

Please help.

Thanks.
Is she in your PR application as non accomanying? Your spouse can apply for SOWP with no affect on PR application. It may not be approved depending on your NOC, work permit expiry, funds etc. It may take months for a decision. If non accompanying, once in Canada you will still need to sponsor her for PR. Her work permit may expire during the process too.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Please help.

Thanks.
You can add her without impacting your points. This is what you should do.

Any other path is risky and you may end up being separated for months while her PR application is being processed. There are many discussions in the Express Entry section and PNP section of the forum on adding spouses to the application later. Please look for these.