+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for PR Card Renewal but not yet received, want to Travel to US for Xmas

riz01

Nov 24, 2012
Hi
Im in Canada for past 5 years (British National) and my PR card expired in September to which I applied for a renewal a week back.
My husband (Canadian Citizen) and 2 children (Both Canadian) plan to travel to US in December.
Im not sure if I will receive my PR card till then (may or may not).
We plan to using the Bus service to Buffalo from Toronto.
I wanted to ask if I can cross the border and will I be allowed back home? I will keep the landing document if required. But will that cause a hassle or issue on the border? Im visa exempted being a Britisher and Im travelling with family.
What would be the best case scenario and also the worst ???

Thanks!

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
riz01 said:
Hi
Im in Canada for past 5 years (British National) and my PR card expired in September to which I applied for a renewal a week back.
My husband (Canadian Citizen) and 2 children (Both Canadian) plan to travel to US in December.
Im not sure if I will receive my PR card till then (may or may not).
We plan to using the Bus service to Buffalo from Toronto.
I wanted to ask if I can cross the border and will I be allowed back home? I will keep the landing document if required. But will that cause a hassle or issue on the border? Im visa exempted being a Britisher and Im travelling with family.
What would be the best case scenario and also the worst ???

Thanks!
If you travel in your personal car to USA and then enter Canada in your personal car then you can use COPR for entry into Canada. I am afraid that entering into Canada by bus seems to be a commercial carrier and as per CIC we need PR card if travelling by commercial carrier. A lot of people have entered Canada from USA in their personal cars or friends cars using COPR. Please note that you cannot use a US rental car with US license plate to enter Canada. Canadian residents are not allowed to enter Canada with US license plate rental car. A few years ago this was the case. I don't know about now.