+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for PR and WP currently in Quebec, after a year still waiting.

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Hello all, just recently joined this forum, after getting frustrated with the wait, I know there are others in the same boat, I am currently in Quebec with my wife, who is sponsoring me, she`s canadian, I`m american, I filled out the application for permanent residence and for WP, sent the application in Dec 2009, they started to process in March 2010, in June 2010, I receive a letter in the mail saying they need an update of my work and address history, I`m like ok, though I had already gave them that information in the original application, I give them the requested information and sent it back, In August I receive another letter from immigration canada. Its another request for additional information this time current address and work history basically from when I arrived, I send back that info and I wait. On November 12, 2010, I receive something from the Quebec Gov`t, its the certificat de selection du Quebec, my wife tells me that it means that Quebec has accepted me as a permanent resident, Im thinking ok this is progress, then I find out that you really can`t do much with it, if you have not been accepted by the gov`t of canada yet. If anyone has more info on the certificat du selection I would love to hear. Anyway On Nov 29, 2010 I receive a letter from Immigration Canada saying that they cannot accept the declaration of marriage we sent and that they need a copy of an official marriage certificate, also in the letter they stated that I have to do the medical exam again, because the first one expired, so I go and do the medical again another 200 dollars, and I send a copy of the marriage certificate, these were done in Dec 2010, as of now Im still waiting, I check online at cic website, application is still in process, Im getting impatient been almost a year can`t work, drained my savings, Im wondering how much longer is this going to be, I noticed that most others that applied around the time I did already have WP And PR, any advice. Thanks!

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you apply inland or outland? Both routes have different expectations regarding timelines.

My understanding is that if you have applied inland, the CSQ qualifies you to apply for RAMQ health insurance. If you applied outland, I think you generally have to wait until permanent residence to get RAMQ.

It is hard to wait in Canada without being able to work. I recently enrolled in French classes which are a tremendous help in reducing my feeling of isolation. I also appreciate having more of a daily schedule with things to do. With the CSQ you should be able to take some French classes at a lower price, if you are interested in that. If you applied inland and already have the CSQ, you should be able to qualify for the governmental French classes through the MICC:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/integration-proceedings/french-courses.html

If you applied outland, have the CSQ, and are in Canada while waiting for permanent residence, you can not enroll in the MICC classes, but you might be able to find francisation classes for very inexpensive at a community center that offers francisation classes. I found one for $40 for 11 weeks, with class 5 days a week. If you google "francisation" and your town, you hopefully will see some places in your town that offer classes. Without the CSQ, these type of classes can be very expensive.

I am sorry you have to do the medical exam again; that is unfortunate. Those expire in a year, and seems to be something others on this forum have also had to re-do due to expiration, along with police certificates.

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the info QCSunshine, I`m going to inquire about the french classes tomorrow, since I applied inland, I`ve been wanting to take the french classes, I thought I needed to have PR first, I`ve been trying to learn the french, Its hard. I have some CD`S but its probably better, being in a classroom environment with people going through the same thing.

Dralon

Apr 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
AOR Received.
01-06-2010
Med's Done....
23-11-2009
Passport Req..
28-02-2010
my wife applied outland and she take the online classes paid by the Quebec government.. at first they said no in a french letter she complained she had indeed a CSQ and the next day they said she was accepted :D

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Hello All, I called Immigration Quebec today to see if I can sign up for french classes, I was told that I needed initial approval first from gov`t of Canada, even if I already have the CSQ, so once again I`m stuck in limbo, I seems that the big holdup is that we did not send the marriage certificate right away, we sent a marriage license, we did not know that we had to request the marriage certificate and it also cost 35.00 by the way, so im not sure when this will be over.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Sounds like you didn't really understand the requirements of the process when you applied. By not understanding the process, you put yourself at a bit of a disadvantage - as you've found out - but most of that has already played out.

Typically it's of no real advantage, in the first place, for a US citizen to apply inland. We are visa-exempt and that makes it rather easy, actually, to apply outland and still be in Canada, visiting, with our partners while waiting for an outland ap to process. We still aren't able to work - but typically Buffalo will finalize a spousal PR application in about the same amount of time that it takes CPC-Vegreville just to assess an applicant for first stage approval (9-10 months). In order to stay in Canada, all you would have needed to do was continue to apply, from within Canada, to extend the status given you when you first entered the country. As long as CIC receives the extension application before your original status expires, and you include proof of your marriage and your outland PR ap in process, applicants are extended almost 100% of the time.

Secondly, while a Record of Solemnization is enough to get a spousal PR application started, CIC needs to know that the marriage is one that is legally valid. That happens when the licence is registered (certified) with the State or Province where the marriage took place. You need to submit a photocopy of the certified licence - check the document checklist, it's there.

The CSQ is always part of the process when the sponsor lives in Quebec. Quebec has additional requirements - but the final decision is still made on a federal level, after the province gives consent. As others have mentioned, the CSQ gives you the ability to do certain things when you apply inland that you can't do if you've applied outland BUT there are still quite a few drawbacks to the inland PR process. Even though outland timelines have increased, inland still takes longer for the most part, and you don't have the right to appeal a refusal. You also risk your application if you leave Canada during processing and can't get back into the country. That said, you would have had the same types of delays in processing through Buffalo considering the types of things you've been asked to submit "after the fact" with your current ap . . . well, except for the address/work history. Buffalo probably would not have asked for that at all - let alone twice. CPC-V is looking to be sure that you are not working illegally in Canada. But typically, only applications - whether inland or outland - where everything is included complete and upfront with the intial submission are processed within normal timelines.

Is your application still in Vegreville, or was it transferred to your local CIC office? Normally it's 9-10 months from the time they first receive your inland application until they begin to assess it - although, back when you submitted yours, the timeline to first stage was at 5-6 months. So, it looks like they first opened the ap to check for completeness in March - and asked for an updated address and work history to ascertain whether or not you were working illegally by the time they opened your ap. In order to issue first stage approval, they must determine that the relationship is legal and genuine, and that the sponsor is eligible. And, for Quebec, they have to have the CSQ - because that's part of the sponsor's eligibility. When they started assessing your application for first stage they 1) didn't have the CSQ, and 2) didn't have a valid marriage certificate. When it also became apparent to them that they would not be finalizing your application before the one year anniversary of your medical, they thought (at least) to ask you to get another done. At least that won't come up later on to delay things further.

Now that you have the CSQ, the marriage certificate and the new medical, it seems likely that they'll issue first stage approval and your work permit - provided you have valid temporary status when you submitted the application in the first place and there are no concerns about your "genuine" relationship. The good news is that it seems it's only taking about 3-6 months after AIP to finalize these cases - and since they've already taken care of the medical examine renew (they assess the medical during second stage) you should be good to go, other than the background checks. If you've only ever lived in the States, those shouldn't take too long. Good Luck. Hope it's not too much longer.

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the info, I would have applied outland, if I would have known that it would be less of a hassle, my application is still in Vegreville, being that we sent the marriage certificate in late Dec early Jan, I called the office yesterday and they said they are opening envelopes received on the week of Nov 26, 2010, I was told to call back in March or early April, that`s when they will get to the envelopes received in late Dec, early Jan. Im hoping this will be over soon, Im out of money and have nothing to do.

villacuba

Jan 5, 2011
Hi, we also live in quebec applying in-land, I'm sponsoring my wife , after reading this, I have one question need everyone's help, to order to have the First stage approval, I also need to apply CSQ for my wife? I didn't send anything for CSG but only the document requried by CIC from their website & shipped to CPC Vegreville, I have sent all the police certificate & Medical report altogether to Vegreville on January 2011, it seems like we'll have to re-do again? the police certificate is for australia which my wife used to live there for 2 year, should i prepare the make a another in the future?

thanks !

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Hello, you will be notified by the CIC that a copy of your sponsorship application was sent to Quebec Immigration or MICC, Im not sure of the rest of the process, because my wife sponsor me, but maybe others on this board will be of more help.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the order for inland and outland applicants regarding the CSQ is the same, though I am not completely certain. If you go to the inland thread, people there would certainly know!

For outland applicants, you submit the CIC application first. Once you receive sponsorship approval from Canada, you then submit a completely separate application to live in Québec to the MICC, with an application fee of 250$. This application includes the request for the CSQ.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/index.html

After Québec approves the sponsorship, they will issue a CSQ to the sponsored person. After the CSQ, CIC will proceed with evaluating the application for permanent residence in Canada. Good luck!

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
As far as I know, for the inland procedure the QSC part is the same: after Vegreville processed first stage (sponsorship), they'll send you a letter with which you can request the QSC at the MICC. After this, PR will be processed by Vegreville and possibly a local office.

What I don't understand is by the TS has his QSC, which means that sponsorship has been approved, but doesn't know this and/or still didn't receive his work permit. Sounds like you two didn't follow the procedure exactly.

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
I was wondering if there is a way to contact the Vegreville office directly, or has anyone successfully contacted the Vegreville office directly.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't seen any specific contact information for Vegreville, other than the mailing address. Perhaps you could inquire at the main CIC phone number? Good luck.

S

SM1983

you can call CIC office, the number is 18882422100, make sure you have your client ID. :)...

manyfaces

Feb 20, 2011
Hello all, just received a letter last week saying that a decision was made and they accepted my application, also got my work permit, which is good news, I was starting to get frustrated. I also registered for the french classes, I go for an evaluation in early April, also went to service canada to get a SIN#. I hope now I can go back to doing the work I did in the U.S