+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Family Class - visitor visa running out

silky28

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Hey all,

Quick question. My American wife and I recently send in our application for family-class PR but at the end of next month she will have been here for 6 months. I was told that because we have applied for PR we do not need to extend her 6-month visitor visa? This strikes me as odd...is it true, or do we need to apply for an extension for her?

thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey all,

Quick question. My American wife and I recently send in our application for family-class PR but at the end of next month she will have been here for 6 months. I was told that because we have applied for PR we do not need to extend her 6-month visitor visa? This strikes me as odd...is it true, or do we need to apply for an extension for her?

thanks!
Did you apply inland? Did you include an OWP with the application? If so, she has implied status and technically doesn't need to extend her visitor status.

Having said that, I would still extend her visitor status. If for any reason her inland application is returned as incomplete, that will put her out of status in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

silky28

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
We did apply both inland and for OWP.

I logged into her account on the immigration website and followed the instructions on how to apply for an extension but I do not even get the option to apply for a visitor visa in her profile. All I get is "express entry" or "experience class"

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
We did apply both inland and for OWP.

I logged into her account on the immigration website and followed the instructions on how to apply for an extension but I do not even get the option to apply for a visitor visa in her profile. All I get is "express entry" or "experience class"
You are applying to extend her visitor status. Not a new visitor visa.