+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for citizenship but Residency about to expire. What should I do?

dandan

Sep 28, 2010
I tried searching for a similar scenario. My residency expires in a few months. I received acknowledgement that the citizenship application was received. The processing time reads 12 months which technically will mean that my residency will expire before I get invited for an interview. What steps should I follow? Can I still work once the residency expires?

Thanks

Dan

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dandan said:
I tried searching for a similar scenario. My residency expires in a few months. I received acknowledgement that the citizenship application was received. The processing time reads 12 months which technically will mean that my residency will expire before I get invited for an interview. What steps should I follow? Can I still work once the residency expires?

Thanks

Dan
Hi Dan,
Residency does not expire. Your resident card can expire. You can renew it if you plan to travel or apply for job etc., It is just an ID that you are a permanent resident. The card expired does not mean your residency expires. Your residency obligation is not met when you do not spend 2 years in the country within the last five years. It is a sliding window rule.

Hope I addressed your concern.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?top=10

you can check more details above

dandan

Sep 28, 2010
chikloo said:
Hi Dan,
Residency does not expire. Your resident card can expire. You can renew it if you plan to travel or apply for job etc., It is just an ID that you are a permanent resident. The card expired does not mean your residency expires. Your residency obligation is not met when you do not spend 2 years in the country within the last five years. It is a sliding window rule.

Hope I addressed your concern.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/results-by-topic.asp?top=10

you can check more details above
Excelent. Thanks for that. Cheers

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
dandan said:
Excelent. Thanks for that. Cheers
We were in a similar boat and opted to renew our PR cards since we didn't know how long the citizenship process will take. I would recommend renewing your PR cards if you plan to travel in the next 12 months.

reasonabledude

Nov 20, 2016
I am in the same situation. Renewing your PR would take almost same time as your Citizenship application. You will just spend more money for no reason. PR would only help you to re-enter to Canada if you leave. Something I won't recommend. Be advised that you have signed "Intend to Reside" clause and it is not recommended to leave Canada during time your application is in process.

Here is the official CIC website talking about this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/grant/residence/intention.asp

Here is the quote:

"For brevity, throughout this program delivery instruction, the term “intent to reside” will be used to refer to the intentions referred to in paragraphs 5(1)(c.1) and 11(1)(e) of the Act.

Subsection 5(1.1) of the Act states that for the purposes of paragraphs 5(1)(c.1) and 11(1)(e), the person’s intention must be continuous from the date of their application until they have taken the Oath of Citizenship.

Officers will be assessing the applicant’s intention if granted citizenship (i.e., what the applicant intends to do after becoming a citizen). Applicants must hold this intention to reside if granted citizenship from the time they sign their application to the time they take the Oath. The intent to reside is required to obtain citizenship but no longer applies once citizenship is granted. Once citizenship is granted, a citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada as guaranteed by the Charter."

I would recommend being very very careful with this issue. Considering all these, I think you really don't need to apply to renew your PR.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dandan said:

Thanks

Dan
They are all right. Your PR status doesn't expire even if your PR card does. I applied, took my test and had my oath all on an expired PR card. No problem at all,I didn't encounter any hassle from the officers when I mentioned (at the test and interview) that my PR card is expired. I didn't even get my oath letter, yet I was allowed to take my oath as I was on the official list of oath takers...... I am a proud Canadian for over a year now! :D :D :D My processing time took 9 months from app sending to oath.
So do not worry too much. Best of luck!

Blueboy1980

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only thing that expires is the card, which is essentially just a travel document. Your residency status is not affected by this. The only problem with having an expired card is when you travel and want to come back into Canada.