+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for citizen, now going overseas

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
I applied for my Canadian citizenship SEPTEMBER 2020, and it remains pending review. I need to return to my country of origin which is costing $7K for a oneway ticket. My mother is there and unexpectedly ill and needs care, and i anticipate needing to remain there for 1 year+. My PR is still valid for several years.
My questions:
1. Do i need to remain in-country while citizenship appl is pending?
2. Can i complete virtual oath and citizenship test while overseas?
3. If i my citizen application is approved how much time am i granted before i must complete the oath and test? Or must i return ASAP?

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
I applied for my Canadian citizenship SEPTEMBER 2020, and it remains pending review. I need to return to my country of origin which is costing $7K for a oneway ticket. My mother is there and unexpectedly ill and needs care, and i anticipate needing to remain there for 1 year+. My PR is still valid for several years.
My questions:
1. Do i need to remain in-country while citizenship appl is pending?
2. Can i complete virtual oath and citizenship test while overseas?
3. If i my citizen application is approved how much time am i granted before i must complete the oath and test? Or must i return ASAP?
1. No
2. No
3. You can re-schedule the test and Oath within a reasonable period of time. I don't recall seeing any set timelines, but you won't be able to re-schedule it for a year, I believe

DreamMagii

Jul 11, 2012
3. You can re-schedule the test and Oath within a reasonable period of time. I don't recall seeing any set timelines, but you won't be able to re-schedule it for a year, I believe
You mean to say that my offer of citizenship might expire in the year i am away?

Streetman

Jun 21, 2016
Edmonton
Try to read other people’s posts so you get a good idea about timelines.
once you apply it will take 3 months to get confirmation “mine took 7 months in the middle of covid panic delays caused to IRCC” now a days it seems to take three months, assuming your application is complete and has no mistakes. Then approx 2 months to get in process stage, then 5-8 months to the test if you’re lucky that’s almost one year to get to the test stage, theoretically you can apply and leave then comeback here for the test and ceremony. those are only timeline guesstimates so you do your maths and decide whats the best for you.