+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for both CERB &EI :(

Gks9510rb

Apr 9, 2020
Hi folks,

I just wanted to share my concern regarding CERB.

I had covid 19 syptoms on 12 of march and my last day of work was 11 of march. Went to hospital ER on 12 of march and got tested for covid19 and result came out on 16 march and it was negative but i started to quarantine myself as suggested. I applied for ei under sickness and the record of employment that my employer sent was under my old SIN and there hasn’t been any update yet, (i asked my employer to sent a new ROE under my new SIN couple days ago).
as i was getting frustrated with my bank account shrinking quicly, i heard about CERB and i checked it out. It said if i am getting EI then i am not qualified for it, but at the same time my friend who tried to sign in to CRA website told me that he needed a access code.
So i went into CRA website by connecting through service canada website and tried the application to see if it will ask me for an access code, instead after two steps into the application it said application completed.

I kind of panicked because i heard that i should not apply for both EI and CERB, and today i heard if i receive both funds, then i will be fined 225% of CERB check.

i am planning on calling the CRA tomorrow but last time i tried, I couldn’t even be on hold because the traffic was too high.

Could you guys give me any suggestion of what to do?

ironically my coworkers who applied for ei already got approved for EI and all received $2000 but all i got is gst of$8.75 today ( i have no idea why is it so low, i am a part time student& part time worker who made $15,000 on the last tax file)

Investocrat

Star Member
Jun 4, 2017
Winnipeg
There are many other people who are in the same shoes. I believe the 225% fine is a myth. You will have to pay back any excess benefits and CRA is currently trying to figure out how to make that happen for those who were paid via direct deposit. If you received a cheque, simply return it to sender.

Also, note that the CERB is considered to be taxable income.

You can see what others are saying about the issue in the comments section of this post below. It is also updated every second day or so with new information.

https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/how-to-apply-for-the-canada-emergency-response-benefit-cerb/

Hi folks,

I had covid 19 syptoms on 12 of march and my last day of work was 11 of march. Went to hospital ER on 12 of march and got tested for covid19 and result came out on 16 march and it was negative but i started to quarantine myself as suggested. I applied for ei under sickness and the record of employment that my employer sent was under my old SIN and there hasn’t been any update yet, (i asked my employer to sent a new ROE under my new SIN couple days ago).
as i was getting frustrated with my bank account shrinking quicly, i heard about CERB and i checked it out. It said if i am getting EI then i am not qualified for it, but at the same time my friend who tried to sign in to CRA website told me that he needed a access code.
So i went into CRA website by connecting through service canada website and tried the application to see if it will ask me for an access code, instead after two steps into the application it said application completed.

I kind of panicked because i heard that i should not apply for both EI and CERB, and today i heard if i receive both funds, then i will be fined 225% of CERB check.

i am planning on calling the CRA tomorrow but last time i tried, I couldn’t even be on hold because the traffic was too high.

ironically my coworkers who applied for ei already got approved for EI and all received $2000 but all i got is gst of$8.75 today ( i have no idea why is it so low, i am a part time student& part time worker who made $15,000 on the last tax file)

Reactions: Gks9510rb

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi folks,

There is no 225% fine for EI/CERB claims; it applies to fraudulent claims for the wage subsidy program. A simple Google search shows this.

Reactions: Gks9510rb

Gks9510rb

Apr 9, 2020
There are many other people who are in the same shoes. I believe the 225% fine is a myth. You will have to pay back any excess benefits and CRA is currently trying to figure out how to make that happen for those who were paid via direct deposit. If you received a cheque, simply return it to sender.

Also, note that the CERB is considered to be taxable income.

You can see what others are saying about the issue in the comments section of this post below. It is also updated every second day or so with new information.

https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/how-to-apply-for-the-canada-emergency-response-benefit-cerb/
thank you