+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application withdrawal and Reapplying

elpisco514

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
Hello everyone, I have a quick question concerning the process of withdrawing an application and reapplying.

I am sponsoring my partner under conjugal partner because we couldn't get married and couldn't live together continuously. Recently she had the good news that her marriage before was granted annulment by the court (Philippines). We are pretty far in the conjugal sponsorship process, she did all the medical exams and biometrics, I paid he rights for permanent residency and I processed the Quebec certificate of selection (we're still waiting for this one). Now I know I should inform IRCC about the change of her status and that would make her no longer eligible to apply as conjugal partner sponsorship.

My question is: if we withdraw her application and reapply under spouse sponsorship after we get married, will she have to do the whole process again ? (Medical testings, biometrics, police clearance, etc...).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
...in theory you can continue with your current application, get married, then send your VO a copy of the marriage certificate with a letter explaining the details on how you were able to now get married. They will very likely just continue to process the application you have and not require you to withdraw and reapply.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Definitely do not withdraw your application.
There is someone else on this forum who withdrew, and then when going forward again their case was red flagged because the officers assumed there was a relationship breakdown causing the withdrawal of the application. They ended up getting called in for an interview to sort everything out which otherwise could have (possibly) been avoidable.

Do what Alurra71 says instead and just update them on what has changed with your current application :)

Last edited:

elpisco514

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
...in theory you can continue with your current application, get married, then send your VO a copy of the marriage certificate with a letter explaining the details on how you were able to now get married. They will very likely just continue to process the application you have and not require you to withdraw and reapply.
Thanks a lot!

elpisco514

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
Definitely do not withdraw your application.
There is someone else on this forum who withdrew, and then when going forward again their case was red flagged because the officers assumed there was a relationship breakdown causing the withdrawal of the application. They ended up getting called in for an interview to sort everything out which otherwise could have (possibly) been avoidable.

Do what Alurra71 says instead and just update them on what has changed with your current application :)
Thanks a lot also!

Peh

Feb 11, 2024
Hello, I am sponsoring my husband and the requirements is (prove of marriage registration)because my marriage was a religious wedding and traditional marriage ceremony through the facilitation of the local church and they provide only wedding certificate. Do I need to withdraw my application or go back to get legally married then update them on what has changed with the explanation letter?

Lihei

Dec 27, 2023
You can register your marriage at the government office and get a marriage certificate. It’s very simple.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I am sponsoring my husband and the requirements is (prove of marriage registration)because my marriage was a religious wedding and traditional marriage ceremony through the facilitation of the local church and they provide only wedding certificate. Do I need to withdraw my application or go back to get legally married then update them on what has changed with the explanation letter?
What country? You should ensure your previous marriage isn't considered a legal marriage. It's possible it is a legal marriage and the 'wedding certificate' may be valid. How long ago were you married? Have you been living together since marriage?

If it's not - depending on country - it probably is most simple to go do a simple legal civil wedding.

It should be fine to disclose both weddings to IRCC with the explanation that you initially carried out only a traditional wedding. But would like to hear about the specifics I asked about above.

Reactions: YVR123

Peh

Feb 11, 2024
i got married a year ago and we only lived together for a month after wedding. My husband finished all his biometric and medical exam but now they required him to (prove of marriage registration )in Thailand. But we wrote the letter to explain why the reason we don’t have marriage registration but thay are not acceptable and said our marriage is not recognized for immigration to Canada.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i got married a year ago and we only lived together for a month after wedding. My husband finished all his biometric and medical exam but now they required him to (prove of marriage registration )in Thailand. But we wrote the letter to explain why the reason we don’t have marriage registration but thay are not acceptable and said our marriage is not recognized for immigration to Canada.
Unless you lived together for 12 months, continuously, to qualify as common law, then you are not (apparently) legally married. You will have to get legally married.

Peh

Feb 11, 2024
So do I need to withdraw and reapply or get legally married and update with IRCC? Thank you so much ?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So do I need to withdraw and reapply or get legally married and update with IRCC? Thank you so much ?
I don't know. Obviously if you get refusal you'd have to re-apply. If you were able to get married quickly and provide them with satisfactory docs, they MIGHT pause your file until settled. But it sounds like it's gone far enough likely to end sooner rather than later in refusal.