+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application timing / medical etc

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hello everyone,

My wife (canadian) and I (American) were originally planning To apply for my PR at the end of this month, but we have decided to stay in South Korea teaching a bit longer. Our contracts will end in February 2021. We think this way things will be less rushed and we’ll have more time to get a good application together. My question is about timing the process right.

Ideally we’d like to come to Canada at the immediate conclusion of our contracts with me as a PR. We’d then apply to teach in a First Nations community in northern Ontario which starts in July. If I submit my application in December 2019, will we be able to stay in korea until feb 2021 or will CIC likely require me to land sooner? I understand a lot of this depends on the timing of when I’m asked to complete my medical, and the landing date will be one year after that date. The reason I want to apply in December is because I’ve already gotten my police certificates including one from the Czech Republic which I had to have translated for a fee, and they will be more than 3 months old if I wait longer than December

thank you very much for any insight :)

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Sounds like you already understand expected processing times and the CoPR expiring 1 year from the completion of the medical; don't really think you've missed considering anything.

If you're worried about your police certificates expiring, then you can submit your application earlier, and then even if you end up with an earlier expiring CoPR, you could do a soft landing without fully settling in Canada until you're ready. It would be quite the trip from South Korea to Canada just for a soft landing, but it's up to you to weigh the inconveniences of possibly having to get a new police certificate versus possibly having to make the trip to Canada to ensure you do a soft landing before your CoPR expires.

Not sure if I said anything new/helpful for your consideration; sounds like you already have a pretty good understanding of the process. Hope the timing is in your favour.