+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Returned: School Records

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It takes about 5-6 weeks to get the application back once delivered to the CIC in Sydney...

We called Call Center and the agent told there seems to be nothing wrong with the application. They advised to write a cover letter mentioning your phone number and asking CIC to call and tell us what is exactly missing instead of returning the whole application.

We checked with LINC Center and they said the documents attached are suffice from them (includes LICN certificate, attendance details, and a letter).

Your thoughts.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
RussCan said:
I applied just a few days ago myself. I was particularly concerned with the official school records completeness for my daughter as I had read many stories of applicants whose cases were returned with a statement: “school records incomplete”. I even called them and spoke to an agent. She explained that often people submit a free style letter from schools saying that such and such attends such and such school. Such a document is an unacceptable for CIC even though it confirms the fact that the applicant's child attends the school. What they need instead though is a document that in many schools would be referred to as a quarterly report card that often comes on 7-8 pages, has a photo of the student, marks and scores, and a tabulated attendance record (i.e., how many days possible to attend in the reported quarter vs. how many the student attended). Also there is a document called “attendance profile” that you can ask from the school at any time, and which will be a listed daily attendance record. I submitted it along with the quarterly report cards, but I suspect that some folks submit it in lieu of the official quarterly report cards, which results in the case returned.
Thank you for this information

Kw8Un0NK

Star Member
Sep 18, 2013
mjm said:
They advised to write a cover letter mentioning your phone number and asking CIC to call and tell us what is exactly missing instead of returning the whole application.
It's sounds as solution. Thank you for sharing information. It is frustrating that they reject the whole application without clarifying on their website what they expect exactly. They could have started processing and requested additional documents later...

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another piece of information...

We had letters from schools obtained in Jun 2013 to be ready to apply in August.

We checked again with school and they mentioned that they have been advised to issue letters as per new format.

We have obtained fresh letters for all kids as per new format and send them again with the application.

Another advise we got from LINC Councillor, that handwrite on the same letter received from CIC...

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are preparing the application now... the school will issue letter as per new format (template)...

mayorok

Oct 20, 2013
Burlington
In early September, I was also given only a letter by the school (in Mississauga) despite my concerns that this might not suffice as a proof of the child being a student there (he's a first grader). The school's secretary insisted that the format of the letter came directly from the Government for citizenship application matters. So I do confirm mjm's words.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Strange, in my daughter's school in ab calgary they have always provided a 6-8 page progress report quarterly. It containes marks, teachers comments, and attendance records. That's way I was surprised when you mentioned a new template. I suppose what new format is for some schools is an old that for others.

Kw8Un0NK

Star Member
Sep 18, 2013
From what I understand CIC and federal government don't have any control over schools and it is up to school board to decide what format to use and what reports to issue.

mjm

Star Member
Feb 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan: we are talking about a letter issued by the school in addition to Term Reports comprising all what you have mentioned.

A letter from Principal indicates the duration a student had been enrolled at the school.