+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Returned - Physical Presence

canada449

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Hello,

My citizenship application that I made in November is returned today. Reason of return is that in the calculation, I have fewer than 1095 days presence in Canada. However, when I submitted my application, calculation was showing 1374 days. I sent my application on November 6, 2023. Now calculation shows 1402 days. I have never left Canada during my 5 year eligibility period which is December 4, 2018 to December 3, 2023 (as of today).

I was protected person before I get my PR so I used that period to count on my physical presence too. I put the hearing date as date of protected person status approval date. Also, calculator was asking when I submitted my refugee claim, I put the issue date of Refugee Protection Claimant document date.

I became PR in Jan 2021 and my protected person status approval date is Feb 2019. With those date, my physical presence calculator was showing 1374 when I submitted my application. What is wrong here? Did I put the wrong date as approval of protected person status? Or this is IRCC error. Should I submit again without changing anything?

BunnyTiger

Nov 29, 2023
Hello,

My citizenship application that I made in November is returned today. Reason of return is that in the calculation, I have fewer than 1095 days presence in Canada. However, when I submitted my application, calculation was showing 1374 days. I sent my application on November 6, 2023. Now calculation shows 1402 days. I have never left Canada during my 5 year eligibility period which is December 4, 2018 to December 3, 2023 (as of today).

I was protected person before I get my PR so I used that period to count on my physical presence too. I put the hearing date as date of protected person status approval date. Also, calculator was asking when I submitted my refugee claim, I put the issue date of Refugee Protection Claimant document date.

I became PR in Jan 2021 and my protected person status approval date is Feb 2019. With those date, my physical presence calculator was showing 1374 when I submitted my application. What is wrong here? Did I put the wrong date as approval of protected person status? Or this is IRCC error. Should I submit again without changing anything?
As my understanding, the citizenship should only count since you became a PR which is Jan 2021 in your case. However, I'm not an expert, I could be wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

The date of approval as a protected person should not be the hearing date. This is supposed to be the date when you received the official communication about the decision after the hearing.

Reactions: Canada2107

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Hello,

Yes, there's an issue with the system for online applications. sometimes It can't count your days as a protected person or on temporary status because the calculations are based on system information, not on what you provide in your application. A quick solution is to apply by paper and attach your notice of decision along with an explanation letter. Alternatively, you could try applying online again with an explanation letter, but there's a high risk of it being returned. Therefore, I recommend applying by paper.

Reactions: Mitya-kun

canada449

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
I will try online application and attach my notice of decision with an explanation letter. But if they don't have it in the system, how I was able to get PR and a travel document?

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
I will try online application and attach my notice of decision with an explanation letter. But if they don't have it in the system, how I was able to get PR and a travel document?
Your information is on the GCMS system, but not on the new online citizenship system I don't know how it works, but there has been an issue since last year. After receiving your AOR, it's important to request a GCMS note to confirm the accuracy of your physical presence. If it's not accurate, your application could be delayed or even cancelled, as happened in my case

Reactions: Mitya-kun

canada449

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Your information is on the GCMS system, but not on the new online citizenship system I don't know how it works, but there has been an issue since last year. After receiving your AOR, it's important to request a GCMS note to confirm the accuracy of your physical presence. If it's not accurate, your application could be delayed or even cancelled, as happened in my case
Thanks I didn't know that online applications aren't connected to GCMS and immigration database. But many applicants who claimed presence days from temporary or protected person status got their citizenship without being returned. I have never seen anyone but me whose application is returned even though their presence are more than 1095 days. Logically, if system does not work, they need to shut down the online applications. But it works for all other people but me. This is just waste of time. I have sent a webfrom inquiry, lets see what they will say.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks I didn't know that online applications aren't connected to GCMS and immigration database. But many applicants who claimed presence days from temporary or protected person status got their citizenship without being returned. I have never seen anyone but me whose application is returned even though their presence are more than 1095 days. Logically, if system does not work, they need to shut down the online applications. But it works for all other people but me. This is just waste of time. I have sent a webfrom inquiry, lets see what they will say.
It works for some and not for others. I've seen many cases with the same issue both here and in Facebook groups. Using a webform likely won't resolve it, and continuing to do so might waste your time. You have the option to apply by paper

Canadian Snowbird

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023
Whatever reasons that not worked, it's not your fault it's IRCC's fault and hope you can hold them accountable for waste your time and put you through this nonsense game.

Canadian Snowbird

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023
I wish every month big media should highlight IRCC's all nonsense and playing with emotions and mental health of those applicants.

badangel

Star Member
Mar 3, 2021
Hello,

did they refund the money? Or you have to pay again?