+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application returned - incomplete

-hf

Aug 9, 2014
So my application sent early June just got returned for being incomplete.

Here's what it says on the letter:
"The passport(s) provided does not cover the 4 year period preceding the date of your application. Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of any other passport(s) you have had during the relevant 4 year period."

However, I am pretty sure I did send all the relevant information.

I have had 2 passports. One was issued in 2001 and expired in 2006, however it was extended to 2011 without issuing a new passport. On one of the Observations pages there is a line printed in both Chinese and English saying the passport is extended to 2011, with stamp on the page. Then in 2011 I got a new passport which expirs in 2021.

So in my application form there are 2 pages for the passports. On the first page I printed the biographical page of my first passport, and the Observations page which says it got extended to 2011. On the second page is my new passport.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Do I send the application back with a letter explaining that I have all the information? Or is there something else I'm not aware of that is missing? Also, if I resubmit the application do I have to change anything to account for the past 2 months or just the exact same application?

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess it would be better to give them a call?
this would be the quickest way to confirm what to do next?

Also you may ask for your records at CIC to read the officer's notes on your file...

Just to confirm... this was NOT the RQ? correct?

I mean, you only was supposed to send the biographical pages ONLY, you was not supposed to send all pages of the passports?

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Since you are applying in 2014, you will need to show any passport since 2010-2014. Looks like you have shown them all the passports you have. Try to call the CIC call centre. If it was their mistake, then write an explanation letter and ask them politely in that letter to expedite your application because you had sent all the complete application and being sent back as incomplete. Or if you don't want to take a risk, then just a letter of explanation. Otherwise some officer won't admit their own mistake and will find more future problem for you. Being slowed down for 2 months doesn't make any difference rather than being issued RQ.

-hf

Aug 9, 2014
Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the abbreviations, what does RQ mean?

Also, 1-888-242‑2100 is the call centre number I found on their website, is this the number I should call?
It says Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. local time, which is the time I have to work too, how convenient :'(

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RQ = Residence Questionnaire
Its a from that sometimes CIC randomly ask you to fill... the supporting documents of this form is SO hard to gather!
Usually they ask you to reply back by 45 days (without considering the mailing periods...etc.. its 45 days from the DATE of their letter, not when you receive it).

It asks about your situation in Canada in ridiculous details... you would need to provide pay subs, all bills/invoices, all rent agreements, statements from landloard, entries from CBSA... each page of each passport you had (that's why I asked if you was sending the application or the RQ) ... and this is not even all what they ask for!!

Someone in this form, said that the supporting documents were nearly around 500 pages!

Many fail to gather the information on time... since some documents are from other countries, where you have left and have no connections any more!

To read more about RQ:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/rq-reasons-and-experience-t234524.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/finally-the-end-share-your-stories-on-rq-processing-and-dealing-with-cic-t234194.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/rq-solution-exit-control-t234319.0.html

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
I had a similar situation (except I did not get the whole application back). You have to photocopy the passport renewal page and attach a letter clarifying both your passport extension and the fact that you provided all the passports that covers the relevant 4 year period.

Windsor_PhD

Star Member
Jul 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, So I've forgotten to include the biographical page of my old passport(Which spanned the previous 4 years as well) with my documents! Is there a way I can fix this? Or do I have to wait until my application is returned and then resubmit it?

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Windsor_PhD said:
Hi Guys, So I've forgotten to include the biographical page of my old passport(Which spanned the previous 4 years as well) with my documents! Is there a way I can fix this? Or do I have to wait until my application is returned and then resubmit it?
Quickly mail it with the fastest package and letter of explanation, if it works, then it will work. If it doesn't work, it won't harm you, the worst is that you will get your application back as incomplete which is now already happening. Nothing could be worse anymore. So try it.

CharlottePEI

May 13, 2014
BLT said:
Quickly mail it with the fastest package and letter of explanation, if it works, then it will work. If it doesn't work, it won't harm you, the worst is that you will get your application back as incomplete which is now already happening. Nothing could be worse anymore. So try it.
This worked for me. The AOR (acknowledgment of receipt) is the same day as the receipt of revised (the day they got the extra information) application on my time line now. Good Luck.

Windsor_PhD

Star Member
Jul 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlottePEI said:
This worked for me. The AOR (acknowledgment of receipt) is the same day as the receipt of revised (the day they got the extra information) application on my time line now. Good Luck.
Thansk for sharing your experience, I'll do that.

pengyuen

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2011
Med's Request
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
17-10-2011
-hf said:
So my application sent early June just got returned for being incomplete.

Here's what it says on the letter:
"The passport(s) provided does not cover the 4 year period preceding the date of your application. Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of any other passport(s) you have had during the relevant 4 year period."

However, I am pretty sure I did send all the relevant information.

I have had 2 passports. One was issued in 2001 and expired in 2006, however it was extended to 2011 without issuing a new passport. On one of the Observations pages there is a line printed in both Chinese and English saying the passport is extended to 2011, with stamp on the page. Then in 2011 I got a new passport which expirs in 2021.

So in my application form there are 2 pages for the passports. On the first page I printed the biographical page of my first passport, and the Observations page which says it got extended to 2011. On the second page is my new passport.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Do I send the application back with a letter explaining that I have all the information? Or is there something else I'm not aware of that is missing? Also, if I resubmit the application do I have to change anything to account for the past 2 months or just the exact same application?
Hi,
I was wondering how long it took them to send back to your application. I sent my application 2 months ago, still ecas is not active, I'm worry that it will come back.
please share with me how long it took to get your application back.

CharlottePEI

May 13, 2014
pengyuen said:
Hi,
I was wondering how long it took them to send back to your application. I sent my application 2 months ago, still ecas is not active, I'm worry that it will come back.
I received mine returned to me within 5 weeks. I wrote the explanation up and sent it back the day after I received it. I used a national courier service with request for confirmation of delivery each time I sent anything to them.
Hope this helps.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
pengyuen said:
Hi,
You should get your ecas updated in about 2 months. You will receive your application back as incomplete in about 2-6 weeks. Looks like your application won't be returned. Try to call the call centre to check your your application status. Give them your PR card number.