+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Returned - Incomplete saying incomplete physical presence

Anastasia_17

Jul 23, 2023
No you don’t need to be in Canada to submit application. However, you need to be in Canada for interview and Oath process. Also for test you can give test outside from Canada.
Thanks! Yes I do know about the test which thankfully is one thing IRCC states boldly but not where u can apply from lol. I am just unsure how to go about the physical presence form as it states to input date left and dat returned to Canada- So for example if I leave the country today and apply tomorrow from abroad I have to input the date i left but what do I put into the return date section? A future date? The physical presence form asks for dates WITHIN the eligibility period which is the 5 years prior to application up until day of submission. The day of submission, I will be abroad so I have to include that date.. This is what I am most confused about :(

Anastasia_17

Jul 23, 2023
Thanks! Yes I do know about the test which thankfully is one thing IRCC states boldly but not where u can apply from lol. I am just unsure how to go about the physical presence form as it states to input date left and dat returned to Canada- So for example if I leave the country today and apply tomorrow from abroad I have to input the date i left but what do I put into the return date section? A future date? The physical presence form asks for dates WITHIN the eligibility period which is the 5 years prior to application up until day of submission. The day of submission I will be abroad so I have to include that date.. This is what I am most confused about :(
Also selecting the city I'm signing from at the end of the application I would state Toronto, but this is because my permanent address is there or I have to BE in Toronto...hmm.

Vancitybh

Star Member
Sep 26, 2020
Hi @RickyNep , did you end up putting the expiry date for your extended study permit as the day your work permit got issued? or the date your study permit paper states?

Also, did you attach any explanation letters about this?

ar445005

Sep 24, 2021
Hey guys,

I got this reply from IRCC saying that my physical presence is less than 1095 days.

Your application for Canadian citizenship is incomplete. We cannot start processing your application for the following reasons:

Physical Presence
In the calculation, you have fewer than 1,095 days spent in Canada during your 5-year eligibility period.
To fix this issue
  • Wait until you have 1,095 days or more in your calculation
    • We encourage you to wait until you have more than 1,095 days (in case there are problems with the calculation).
    • After you have 1,095 days or more
      • update your physical presence calculation where applicable
      • click on the “Calculate my physical presence” button
Physical presence calculator is incomplete
To fix this issue
  • You must complete each section of the physical presence calculator.

This was my temporary resident status info I submitted
Temporary resident status
Temporary foreign worker Date you received the status: November 4, 2019
Date your status expired: June 16, 2021
Did you apply to extend your status?: No

Note: Issue date on work permit : 2019/11/04 and Expiry Date: 2022/11/04

International student
Date you received the status: December 26, 2016
Date your status expired: April 30, 2019
Did you apply to extend your status?: Yes
Date you applied to extend your status: February 4, 2019
Was the extension approved?: Yes
Expiry date of extended status: March 30, 2020

Note: Extended study permit Issue date : 2019/03/26 and Expiry Date: 2020/03/30

I never travelled outside Canada once I become permanent resident in May 28, 2021. Please suggest what I am missing?
I have the same problem … How do I include implied status while waiting for a postgraduate work permit? Is the implied status considered a temporary worker, or should I add only the date when I receive the work permit for physical presence calculations? Please help me …

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I have the same problem … How do I include implied status while waiting for a postgraduate work permit? Is the implied status considered a temporary worker, or should I add only the date when I receive the work permit for physical presence calculations? Please help me …
Implied status is valid status. What were your status when you applied for extension? Please share your full profile with all details. Hard to answer like that.

ar445005

Sep 24, 2021
I was on study permit from January 2018 to December 31, 2019, graduated in November, and applied for a postgraduate work permit on December 5, 2019. I was working on implied status until I received my work permit on March 3, 2020. Question: How to enter data on physical calculations: which one is correct, case 1 or case 2?

Case1
International student - Jan 2018 to 31st Dec 2019
Temporary Foreign worker
March 3, 2020 to until received PR

Case 2
International student - Jan 2018 to 4 th Dec 2019
Temporary Foreign worker
Dec 5th 2020 to Until received PR

Please help me ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Implied status is valid status.
While implied status is, at least in a sense "valid" status, it mostly means the FN in Canada can continue to lawfully remain in Canada as if they still have status pending a formal grant of an extension, or an additional grant of the same or another status. For purposes of what counts as having Temporary Resident Status given credit toward meeting the actual physical presence requirement for a grant of citizenship, the tricky part can be documenting the applicant actually had temporary resident status during such period of time. In this regard it is worth noting that not all implied status periods are equally documented in an immigration client's GCMS records.

Remember, to count as days physically present in Canada not only requires being actually physically present in Canada with temporary resident status, but also PROVING both, the presence AND the status. Generally, proving status is hardly given any thought, almost none at all; it is rarely an issue because IRCC readily verifies the applicant's information (assuming it is correct), as to status and the dates the applicant had such status, in the applicant's GCMS records.

Sometimes, however, presence in Canada with valid pre-PR status is not documented in the client's GCMS records. For example, this can be the case for some visitors with visa-exempt passports who have been waived into Canada without being issued a visa or Visitor-Record. It also appears to pose an issue for some applicants relying on implied status, their status not documented in their GCMS for some or all of the period they remained in Canada with implied status.

In some situations, where during the initial screening of the citizenship application for completeness the GCMS records do not document the applicant's status for a period of time, there are numerous anecdotal reports that IRCC has not counted (given credit to) those days, and if that results in total credit for less than 1095, returned the application as incomplete based on not meeting the physical presence requirement.

In addition to many examples in other threads, see for example post #32 in this thread, posted back in July by @SpiritualWonderBoy; note that the approach employed by @SpiritualWonderBoy, getting the application accepted as complete for processing on the third try with a letter of explanation, MIGHT or MIGHT NOT work in the long-run. Last I saw, the application is still pending.

I addressed this in-depth in post #33 above. Concluding:
For most, the easy approach is to just wait to apply, recognizing that each day here now will get credit offsetting two days pre-PR. For most the difference between what is readily verified as days with temporary resident status, in GCMS, and a period GCMS does not verify but the applicant is sure they had legal status, is small enough that waiting is not only the more sure approach, but overall is likely to be the faster overall path to taking the oath (presence questions are bound to cause non-routine processing resulting in significantly longer processing timelines).
What I did not address there, but have in several other discussions, is that if the applicant is confident they had valid implied status, best to still wait to apply without relying on credit for that period, but STILL INCLUDE this period in the physical presence calculation . . . think of it as having an additional margin, a bigger buffer, noting that the prudent applicant will wait to apply with a good buffer anyway.
Example: a PR relying on pre-PR credit including 29 days credit with implied status (based on 58 days presence in Canada with implied status), would be prudent to wait until they have at least 1125 days credit (thus including a comfortable buffer; many in the forum believe just a 10 day buffer is enough) NOT COUNTING the days with implied status, and then apply including the days in Canada with implied status, so they are applying with a total 1154 days credit . . . then, even if IRCC does not count the 29 days with implied status, there are enough days to qualify, no problem (and way less risk of RQ-related non-routine processing delays down the road).

I do not play with the physical presence calculator enough these days to confidently describe how to enter the information. It is mostly straight-forward, using a separate entry stating the period for each period of status, the "from" date obviously the date that status began, the "to" date being either the date the actual grant of status is set to expire and did expire, or an earlier date if that period of status was replaced by another, so then ending on the date the new status started. Thus, for example, if someone has implied status bridging the period beginning the date one grant of status expires, that should be reported as a separate period of status, such as "implied student status" (or visitor or whatever is applicable), FROM the first day following the expired status and TO the day prior to the next day for which there is a grant of status. Again, each period of status to be reported separately, based on the particular FROM - TO date for that period with that status.