+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application returned due to marriage certificate

Emilytang

Sep 9, 2021
Hi, everyone.
My application got returned to me with a letter that stated my marriage certificate was not included or does not meet the requirement. The marriage certificate I submitted was right under the letter. Thus I assume the officer thought the certificate has some problem.

My marriage certificate was issued by US county probate court, it was titled as marriage certificate, and the content certified me and my husband were united in marriage. It has the time and place of the marriage was taking place and the time the judge certified the marriage. I called the county probate court, and they said it was the only marriage certificate they issue. The state has a vital record office that can only provide marriage record verification letter. In sum, what I sent, is the only document named marriage certificate that I can get.

I sent a photocopy printed in color. I am wondering was it because they require a certified true copy?

I called IRCC regarding the issue, and the agent said my file was deleted due to return, so he cannot help me to find out the specific reason for the return. I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out the reason?

I am not a US citizen, but I studied in US, so I get married there with my husband, a Canadian citizen. I am wondering if the officer think it's weird, and think the certificate is not real?

I am planning to resubmit my application, but I really need to know what's wrong with my marriage certificate.

Can anyone help here.

Thank you all so much for reading my post.

Dimilitantey

May 6, 2021
Wow that's not good news at all. I wonder exactly the issue was. But yeah as you said maybe they required a certified true copy, cos that's what I did and also the marriage licence was included. So try and find out if normally in US there is a license provided. This is normally attached to the certificate before handing over.

To find out exactly what's wrong, i believe your file is still in the system even if it is not accessible by the visa office. If possible you could apply for the GCMS notes which provides the electric details of your profile why was returned and that. I am not 100% sure there might be information there but I feel that's the only chance to actually get some real feedback to review before reapplying.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Could you specify what state? It may be the marriage registry extract that you need - or wouldn't hurt to include. (Specifics by USA states are actually quite different so not sure who would know - doubt i do)

Emilytang

Sep 9, 2021
Could you specify what state? It may be the marriage registry extract that you need - or wouldn't hurt to include. (Specifics by USA states are actually quite different so not sure who would know - doubt i do)
The state is Georgia.
The only record county probate court can provide is a certified copy of our marriage application, which is a public record that anyone can apply for review. Not sure if it's similar to marriage registry.

Emilytang

Sep 9, 2021
Wow that's not good news at all. I wonder exactly the issue was. But yeah as you said maybe they required a certified true copy, cos that's what I did and also the marriage licence was included. So try and find out if normally in US there is a license provided. This is normally attached to the certificate before handing over.

To find out exactly what's wrong, i believe your file is still in the system even if it is not accessible by the visa office. If possible you could apply for the GCMS notes which provides the electric details of your profile why was returned and that. I am not 100% sure there might be information there but I feel that's the only chance to actually get some real feedback to review before reapplying.
The marriage license was not provided because it's something you would give it to court and in exchange of a marriage certificate.
Thank you for the GCMS note advice, I am planning to apply one. It will take sometime.
I am really upset that the IRCC did not specify the exact issue with our marriage certificate, it really cause us huge trouble.

Dimilitantey

May 6, 2021
The marriage license was not provided because it's something you would give it to court and in exchange of a marriage certificate.
Thank you for the GCMS note advice, I am planning to apply one. It will take sometime.
I am really upset that the IRCC did not specify the exact issue with our marriage certificate, it really cause us huge trouble.
Oh okay about the license. I guess it varies on how it's done in different countries. For me it was handed over with the certificate.

And you welcome for the GCMS notes. Let's hope there is some concrete feedback and see how to resolve it before reapplying. Would be upset if to be in ur position to. Good luck.

Reactions: Emilytang

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
Interestingly weird. Married in USA its usually just a photocopy they need. I got married in Cook county Chicago, all i provided was a photocopy of the marriage certificate not licence from the county courthouse as well. saying when where and who was involved and who did the ceremony, withe the stamp of the county on it. I also did a photocopy of the back of it as well.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The state is Georgia.
The only record county probate court can provide is a certified copy of our marriage application, which is a public record that anyone can apply for review. Not sure if it's similar to marriage registry.
The Georgia dept of public health claims to provide marriage records, including copies of marriage certificates:
https://dph.georgia.gov/ways-request-vital-record/marriage

Sorry can't help more, the different approach in different states (some where records are only at county level) makes it a challenge.

Good luck.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Interestingly weird. Married in USA its usually just a photocopy they need.
I strongly doubt that it's an issue of it being a photocopy - the problem arises in some states where the license (signed or stamped?) is the main document, and not a certificate of marriage. (And some people screw up in eg Ontario providing the solemnification of marriage thing - it happens not infrequently)

And I honestly get the impression that in some cases IRCC is not entirely certain but it's hard to know since the practice varies so much by state.

Emilytang

Sep 9, 2021
Interestingly weird. Married in USA its usually just a photocopy they need. I got married in Cook county Chicago, all i provided was a photocopy of the marriage certificate not licence from the county courthouse as well. saying when where and who was involved and who did the ceremony, withe the stamp of the county on it. I also did a photocopy of the back of it as well.
I only did a photocopy of the front. Mine is also a marriage certificate. I now figured I can order certified copy of my marriage license and application from the probate court, as it is a pure public record. In fact, anyone can search my name in the system and request one. It's only 10 dollar for each copy with 2 dollar mailing fee. I ordered from the court. Hope in providing marriage certificate, certified copy of my marriage license and application would be sufficient.

Emilytang

Sep 9, 2021
The Georgia dept of public health claims to provide marriage records, including copies of marriage certificates:
https://dph.georgia.gov/ways-request-vital-record/marriage

Sorry can't help more, the different approach in different states (some where records are only at county level) makes it a challenge.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help. Yes, the Georgia public health department can offer marriage certificate, but only for marriage before 1996. After that, the county probate court is responsible to provide the marriage certificate. My marriage certificate was from the county probate court, but IRCC seems not satisfied with it.

Reactions: armoured