+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Process - Canada/Quebec

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
I have a query on the Family class sponsorship and would much appreciate if I could get some general guidance. My spouse is a Canadian citizen. We currently live in the UK (I am a UK citizen) I am planning on doing an outbound application via London, UK for permanent residence with my spouse as the sponsor.

We currently work in the UK but then intend to move to Canada within 6 months of the application being approved, and intend to live in the province of Quebec (where spouse comes from)

I am slightly confused on the process and specifically in terms of completing the forms. I believe there is a general one for applying for residency in Canada via the spouse sponsor (IMM008) and a separate one specifically for Quebec (Application for selection certificate – Family class (A-0520-BA). Does the general application need to be completed first, followed by a separate application a provincial level Quebec or is just one of these required?

There is also a form for application to sponsor (IMM 1344) is this required in addition to the above?

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Admittedly, it can be confusing since Quebec often asks for similar or parallel forms. The order of events is to fill out the Canadian forms for both the applicant and the sponsor. This list of forms is for your situation: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp Pay particular attention when it says this doesn't apply to Quebec. If you have any doubts, post back here. Once you have completed the very lengthy process of putting together the applicant and sponsor files, you will submit them to CIC. They will proceed to evaluate if your partner is able to sponsor you. Once the sponsor gets the green light (i.e. CIC sends a letter of approval), they will let Quebec know. Quebec will ask you and your sponsor to fill out these forms http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/undertaking-application/index.html.

You can, of course, fill out the forms beforehand. However, until your sponsor gets the letter from CIC you cannot submit the forms to Quebec. After you submit all of the forms to Quebec, you will hopefully get a CSQ (a certificat de sélection pour le Québec). This certificate is important when you land it will allow you to easily get a healthcare card (carte de soleil) and to get free French courses for you (if need be).

After you get your CSQ, you wait like the rest of us.

Good luck!

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Thank you for your response this is very useful.

Just to clarify, are the Sponsorship forms (Part 1) and the Immigration forms (Part 2) from the CIC to be completed at the same time, or would Part 2 be completed once the Sponsor is approved (and therefore in my case alongside the separate application for Quebec (CSQ)?

Am I also correct in saying that there will be no issues for my sponsor to be remain UK as a permanent resident during the application process but will obviously return to Canada after everything is approved/completed?

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Yes, you do Part 1 and Part 2 at the same time and submit them together to CIC. In theory Part 1 is filled out by your partner and Part 2 is filled out by you.

Your sponsor is a permanent resident? If so, it won't be a problem to remain in London as long as the continuous time away from Canada doesn't exceed 3 years.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
james1121 said:
Am I also correct in saying that there will be no issues for my sponsor to be remain UK as a permanent resident during the application process but will obviously return to Canada after everything is approved/completed?
If your sponsor is a Canadian citizen, they can sponsor you while also living in the UK.

If your sponsor is a Canadian Permanent Resident, they MUST be residing in Canada in order to sponsor you, so would not be able to live in UK during the processing.

james1121

Nov 8, 2012
Rob_TO said:
If your sponsor is a Canadian citizen, they can sponsor you while also living in the UK.

If your sponsor is a Canadian Permanent Resident, they MUST be residing in Canada in order to sponsor you, so would not be able to live in UK during the processing.
She is a Candian citizen so sounds as though there should be no issue.

Thanks

MORENA75

May 7, 2013
Greece
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I am also VERYYYY confused for the Quebec application, you all seem like you know how this goes...can anyone PLZ help me? ::)

I've have been reading this forum for months as well as the Canada Immigration site trying to figure things out on my own - Not working Lips sealed

I am really afraid to make mistakes and am sure I have not understood everything. So, if there is anyone here WITH THE PATIENCE to bear with me and willing to help I would REALLY appreciate it, especially someone who has sponsored or has been sponsored to Quebec. I KNOW the things I will be asking may sound stupid and some will refer me back to the CIC website but I really would appreciate (and would not mind at all Tongue ) that you explain things to me as if I am an idiot. LOL.

So here's the deal :

I am a Canadian Citizen (from Mtl, Quebec)
I have been residing in Greece for the past 7yrs and leaving back to Montreal on May 20th 2013
My boyfriend / common-law is leaving Greece as well and is going back to his homeland - Albania on May 20th 2013

What I need help with or don't understand (practically everything :-X )

- I am confused about ALL the forms :'(
- I do not understand the procedure from Quebec...I've read that you have to send ALL the "forms" at once
- Then I have the big confusion about the Selection Certificate
- I am wondering since we are going to part SOON, and I would like to be the one SOLELY responsible (is that even possible?) for receiving and sending documents to and from CIC (his english is bad) if I need certain documents from him NOW.
- Has someone done the complete application for Quebec Sponsorship successfully and can guide me through in detail of what I must do - step by step? ???

Info:
We have lived together in Greece for over 5yrs, unfortunately everything was under my name, I have lotsssss of photos, chats, travel tickets, emails, and mail that shows we have been together (but nothing "legal") :(

I don't have a job ready in Mtl but I plan to get one within a mth of my arrival - (If I understood well there is no $$ req for Quebec to sponsor a common-law spouse right? ::))

I really don't know where to start and am really confused regarding the forms and what to send where EVEN though I have read this forum and the CIC website for hours per day during the past months, I see everyone here has sponsored on their own without need of a lawyer and I am just wondering is it only me that is so thick-skulled that does not understand a thing? ::) :p

i hope someone bored and patient is willing to bother with me and this sponsorship.

I thank you in advance - :)
Kathy