+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application planning for CEC - need advice

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

Immigration has always been a scary part for me to tap into, the process - very straightforward but complicated by me in every aspect.

So here's my story>

Education
: graduated from University of Western Ontario with a double major B.A.(Hons.) in 2008.
Work experience - this is the complicated part>

It took a while for me to find anything, I don't know whether to blame the economy or myself.

2009: March-May worked part-time as animator for a small TV station; (Have pay stubs, record of employment, filed tax)
2009: May-Oct worked part-time as photographer assistant; (got paid by personal cheque, basically no records)
2009: Oct-Nov worked as office temp; (got paid by company cheques, filed tax) this won't count as experience for sure
2010: Jan-May worked full-time as multimedia assistant: (first 3 month is internship, so really only one month employment, have pay record and letter of reference)

2010: Oct 19 - 2011 May 31 worked full-time as graphic designer (have monthly pay stub, and T-4 for 2010, got a new job and ended badly in this job, so no letter of reference from employer. Also, my pay doesn't reach the industry standard for graphic designer, so the immigration consultant told me however long I worked, the time is less because i didn't get paid enough.)

2010: June - present work full-time as office coordinator (have monthly pay stub, will ask for letter of reference) i applied for work permit extension with this job because my PGWP expired.

Language: IELTS test took in Apr 2010, overall score: 8

I also have a Canadian live-in boyfriend, I have attempted to do sponsorship immigration but would prefer to do CEC if I'm eligible to.
Could anyone offer me some valuable suggestion as to which way works best for me to apply immigration? I would go to immigration lawyer if need to but don't have a trusted contact.

Thanks very much for everyone's help!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your dates don't line up.

Did you mean to say that you've been in your current job from June 2011 (rather than June 2010)?

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
scylla said:
Your dates don't line up.

Did you mean to say that you've been in your current job from June 2011 (rather than June 2010)?
oops - yes I have been in the current job since June 2011, and I got positive LMO in mid September 2011 and in process of work permit extension.

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
I know the policy for accepting CEC class vs family reunion class will change next year, based on my case, I'm not sure whether CEC or sponsorship works best for me...

hbic

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
new york
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-jul-2010
AOR Received.
07-dec-2010
File Transfer...
05-apr-2011
Med's Request
20-jul-2011
Med's Done....
03-aug-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-sep-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-sep-2011
LANDED..........
07-oct-2011
hi.. i just wanna share my opinion, but it's still up to you. since you have study experience in canada, i would suggest CEC. this is your 1st work permit renewal right? so, you still have time. here are my options for you:

1. you can include your graphic design position (although your'e not sure because of the salary), let's say a gamble. but i just read the application guide, and i didn't see anything about salary. all that matters, you are a graduate from a canadian institution and have 1 yr skilled work experience. regarding the letter of reference, you can just write an explanation why you couldn't include that letter and just give all the details of your work as a graphic designer. you can also include your animator position since it is also in skill leve B. but since it is just part time, im not sure how often did you work.. the bad side of this, it will be more complicated, to compute the total required work experience. so this option is just like losing side in a gamble... OR, you can consider the next option.

2. you can wait for another 7 months then apply for CEC. you have your renewed work permit anyway right? so you would be able to complete 12 months of full time work experience as a graphic designer. in this case, your work experience will be solid, continious and easy for you to count 12 months! :)

3. you can do sponsorship if you think option 2 is not possible.. :) as long as you live-in together for over a year. and he's willing to make an agreement that if unpleasant happens to you (financially), he will support you.

LoveVancouver

Feb 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
HSBC Centre, 1 RPC, Buffalo, NY, US
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2011
Hi Pooky and others,
Is there is going to be a policy change in CEC by next year?

ben8286

Jul 7, 2010
You can also try PNP, and I know there will be more quota for 2012, so I guess that will be easier.

As long as you have half year working experience, you can ask your employer to apply for you. That may be another option for you now.

But remember, that's employer driven, so during the whole process you have to be working with the same company. You cannot quit your job or be fired.

Hope this helps.

Misun

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2011
Med's Request
01-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-11-2011
I went with CEC instead of sponsorship even though I had been married to Canadian for over a year when i send my application. It was a pride thing. :) Honestly, there were many moments that I regretted not choosing Sponsorship. But, I'm proud to be CEC.

If you get the work permit extended, work another 6 months at your current office coordinator position and apply. Then you know for sure that you have a solid work experience together with a reference letter.

But, you will have to make sure you don't quit or get let go until June 2011, plus you might have to take IELTS again. I think the test is valid for only 2 years.

If you don't want to wait another year and a half to get PR, apply under sponsorship. I guess you also have to make sure to stay with him. (I'm sure you are in happy relationship! :) )

It's your personal choice. I hope you choose the one that's best for you after doing thorough research on both categories and weighting pro's and con's.

Good luck!