+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application on hold ?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

I’m planning to do my citizenship test then going back home cause I lost my job and can’t afford living here without a job . I don’t have EI either. Will my application be put on hold if I go outside Canada ? I know you can do interview outside Canada . So if I do the interview outside Canada and they know I’m outside will they put my file on hold ? Cause my plan was to do my test go home and stay there until I get call for oath then come back and do oath. But will they put my file on hold ? So they won’t schedule me for oath until I come back ?
Thank you for your help

abhi84712

Dec 8, 2021
I don't think that your going back to your home country will affect the processing of your citizenship application as long as you give the test in Canada and come back for the oath. Since you have already fulfilled the physical presence requirement for your citizenship application, even if you get an interview request, which is quite rare, your application should not be put on hold even if you tell them so in the interview.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I don't think that your going back to your home country will affect the processing of your citizenship application as long as you give the test in Canada and come back for the oath. Since you have already fulfilled the physical presence requirement for your citizenship application, even if you get an interview request, which is quite rare, your application should not be put on hold even if you tell them so in the interview.
Really ? But if I do the interview and they ask me if im in Canada Im gonna tell them I’m outside and they’re gonna ask me for proof of going back to Canada so why do they ask for that ?

abhi84712

Dec 8, 2021
Why would they ask for the proof of you coming back to Canada? That sounds illogical. Their only condition can be that you have to be in Canada for the oath, which you are already planning to do. Have you heard of anyone being asked for such proof in any such interviews?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Really ? But if I do the interview and they ask me if im in Canada Im gonna tell them I’m outside and they’re gonna ask me for proof of going back to Canada so why do they ask for that ?
When/if they send you the interview email, let them know you are outside Canada. They are allowing people to have interviews from outside Canada now. If you r officer is stubborn and they asked you to be in Canada for the interview, then you come back. Simple as that. They ask for proof if you are scheduled for the oath and you ask them to reschedule because you are outside Canada.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Also your question's title is misleading. You make people think your file is actually on hold.
Sorry didn’t mean to do that! But I just read someone’s post that they did the interview from outside Canada and they were asked to provide proof of coming back to Canada. So would that mean that they won’t be invited for oath until they come back ?

abhi84712

Dec 8, 2021
Sorry didn’t mean to do that! But I just read someone’s post that they did the interview from outside Canada and they were asked to provide proof of coming back to Canada. So would that mean that they won’t be invited for oath until they come back ?
Even if you have an interview and they ask you to be back for the oath, you will have either of the two scenarios:

1 --> they give you an oath date and ask you to be back by then. Solution is you come back to Canada and take oath on that day.
2 --> they ask you to come back and contact them to schedule an oath date. Since oath is just the last step of the citizenship process. you will not have to wait for the oath for long if you have to follow this option.

Lastly, you are overthinking about all this, my friend. Go back to your home country and have a good time, you must already be too stressed because of the job loss and Covid. IRCC people are quite nice and accommodating and will help you in all possible ways without putting your file on hold.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
They will invite you, but if you ask to reschedule because you are outside, then you need to provide a proof when you come back, so they can reschedule you the oath.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
They will invite you, but if you ask to reschedule because you are outside, then you need to provide a proof when you come back, so they can reschedule you the oath.
So I can go back home and wait for the oath ?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Someone posted his gcms notes and in the notes it says they are waiting on him to send them the proof of him coming back. So I don’t think they will send him invitation for oath until he sends them proof of him coming back

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Someone posted his gcms notes and in the notes it says they are waiting on him to send them the proof of him coming back. So I don’t think they will send him invitation for oath until he sends them proof of him coming back
Why did you ask the question if you are convinced they won't send a the invitation? It's your application, if you have better info and are convinced with it, go ahead and do what's aligned with it.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Why did you ask the question if you are convinced they won't send a the invitation? It's your application, if you have better info and are convinced with it, go ahead and do what's aligned with it.
I’m not sure of this. I asked the question so that I can know peoples experiences . Thank you.

Reactions: Dakwin