+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application of CCB(Canada child benefit) for New Settlers

Jul 29, 2019
You can apply for CCB during the landing year.
Some tips
  1. If you wish, you could ask CRA to mail paper forms to you. What you would need are RC66 and RC66SCH[Myabe more], free of charge.
  2. I do not know if they accept the applications without SINs. I would suggest you do not apply until you get SINs, as CRA pays you CCB retrospectively.
  3. CRA pays CCB to you retrospectively for up to X(10?) months without too much fuss. When paying retrospectively, they count from the date of your landing. Or to be precise, count from the date you become a resident for tax purposes. If it is more than X(10?) months, the paperwork is very tedious in my view.
  4. Some information such as the city of the birth of the children isn't so crucial. You don't have to split the hairs. For instance, it is common for passports of the U.S.A. to list place of birth as states, not cities. Don't worry about listing the exact words of the passport on the CRA form. You can use XXX(city), XXX(State).
  5. It is a common myth that in a heterosexual marriage only the mum can claim CCB. [such a myth is sexist if not gender discrimination against males, as it presumes that males cannot be the primary caregiver of the minor(s). ] The father can claim CCB with proper paper works, the easiest among which is a signed statement from the mother to confirm the father is the caregiver.
  6. On RC66 SCH, you would need to convert your foreign income into CAD amount. You can use the yearly average exchange rate published by the Bank of Canada. If the yearly average isn't available, try the monthly one for different months. The key point there is CRA is looking for a ballpark number within reason. As long as you are reasonable, it is okay. [Don't ask me what is reasonable or not, I would tell you to pay a tax professional to figure it out.]
  7. how fast you would get paid depends on both the processing of the application and the payment date. Your application must be processed before the next payment date. If you are unlucky, you have to wait one extra month just because your files got processed just a couple of days later.

Last edited:
Reactions: zylexy and RubyD