+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application keeps asking Living together OR not

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
My wife is here from USA on a visitor visa. We have been spending as much time as possible together together in on visitor visas either me being in USA or her being in Canada. We still mark this as not living together though, right?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife is here from USA on a visitor visa. We have been spending as much time as possible together together in on visitor visas either me being in USA or her being in Canada. We still mark this as not living together though, right?
You answer the questions based on your current situation. She is here, so you live together.

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
You answer the questions based on your current situation. She is here, so you live together.
Interesting OK. It asks for all sorts of proof of common ownership of utility services etc which we have nothing joint. Should we go get something like a bank account?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Interesting OK. It asks for all sorts of proof of common ownership of utility services etc which we have nothing joint. Should we go get something like a bank account?
If you have none of the proofs, you explain why.

Reactions: Kevin L

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
I think OP would need to clarify a little more, no? To me it sounds like they are simply visiting each other as much as they can, but are maintaining separate primary residencies (and likely separate utility bills, car insurance, etc). In that case I wouldn't consider them living together. On the other hand, if she's severed those ties to the US with the intention of establishing residency in Canada, even if it's only been for a few months, then I would say that they are indeed living together.

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
I think OP would need to clarify a little more, no? To me it sounds like they are simply visiting each other as much as they can, but are maintaining separate primary residencies (and likely separate utility bills, car insurance, etc). In that case I wouldn't consider them living together. On the other hand, if she's severed those ties to the US with the intention of establishing residency in Canada, even if it's only been for a few months, then I would say that they are indeed living together.
The issue is that, she did infact sever ties to the USA by giving up her apartment, but, the CBSA does not want people doing that if they are coming to Canada on a visitor permit. So, I was somewhat worried if we put that she’s living here but on a visitor permit that might raise a red flag.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
IRCC isn't that specific. As his wife is in Canada, it is her current country of residence and they are living together.

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
The issue is that, she did infact sever ties to the USA by giving up her apartment, but, the CBSA does not want people doing that if they are coming to Canada on a visitor permit. So, I was somewhat worried if we put that she’s living here but on a visitor permit that might raise a red flag.
Ahh okay, I see -- I wasn't sure if you meant that she would continue to go back and forth in the meantime. If she really has moved there then definitely I agree with what @canuck_in_uk said.

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
IRCC isn't that specific. As his wife is in Canada, it is her current country of residence and they are living together.
What about my previous comment above? CBSA specifically told us they don’t want people coming into Canada knowing they want to settle on a visitor permit. We told them she was just coming for a visit.

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
Ahh okay, I see -- I wasn't sure if you meant that she would continue to go back and forth in the meantime. If she really has moved there then definitely I agree with what @canuck_in_uk said.
Ah,this is why I asked. When you get to the part of the checklist that says if she’s living with me to provide proof of a work permit or some sort of status. I could show proof of her visitor stamp in her passport but...would that work?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What about my previous comment above? CBSA specifically told us they don’t want people coming into Canada knowing they want to settle on a visitor permit. We told them she was just coming for a visit.
CBSA and IRCC are completely different organizations with completely different mandates. CBSA isn't OK with visitors living in Canada. IRCC is fine with it, up to a point, and very lenient when a sponsorship app is processed.

Reactions: Kevin L and kcward7

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
CBSA and IRCC are completely different organizations with completely different mandates. CBSA isn't OK with visitors living in Canada. IRCC is fine with it, up to a point, and very lenient when a sponsorship app is processed.
Ah I believe that. Thanks again man you are a forum rockstar

treint

May 25, 2019
I'm having the same issue. I am US resident. I extended my stay for a year to create common law with my Canadian girlfriend but was told not to do anything like open bank account, get lease together etc because I am still a VISITOR. So we are supposed to tell CB that none of that was done but DO all of that to show common law validity for IRCC? I can't wrap my head around this conundrum.

Kevin L

Mar 20, 2019
I'm having the same issue. I am US resident. I extended my stay for a year to create common law with my Canadian girlfriend but was told not to do anything like open bank account, get lease together etc because I am still a VISITOR. So we are supposed to tell CB that none of that was done but DO all of that to show common law validity for IRCC? I can't wrap my head around this conundrum.
Yes I agree it’s a little confusing

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Perfectly fine for you to get a bank account, lease etc.