+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Youth Professional VISA, then prolongation of work permits

sarx121

Mar 30, 2012
A warm hello to all! :)

I am a czech citizen and am currently in Toronto, on a 1 year open work permit under the Work Holiday program. I have potentially found a solid employer within the IT sector, who have asked me how I can prolong my work permit. Now I am very well aware of the next VISA category under this Program, ie. the Youth Professional VISA which is valid again for another 1 year, restricting you to work for one employer only. I spoke to a CIC agent earlier today, but I am not sure if he provided me with the absolute correct answer with respect to the application process for this category VISA - he stipulated that I must leave Canada and apply for this next work permit at the Canadian VISA Office in my own country. Is this absolutely true? In addition is it at all possible for the application process to be hurried, if the employer writes a letter of urgency?

My next concern is what happens once this 1 year is up. I am very well aware that the economy is tough these days, and know of many Canadians who battle to find work in their own country. This employer wants to invest in a long term resource, and need to have confirmation that I can prolong my work permits and stay with them. I was wondering if a company can influence the outcome of an LMO application in anyway (not negatively but rather positively). Lets say I will have successfully completed my 1st year with them under the Youth Professional VISA (which is easier to obtain), surely the HRSDC should approve the LMO since I have already been with the company for 1 entire year? It is also wise to add that since this employer brings in many IT skilled professionals from overseas, due to the weak IT labour market in Toronto.

Simply stated, there is the immigration for skilled workers program (66 points) as given under the CEC program - but I read that once needs to have 2 years of full time wok exp in Canada behind them - thus I probably have to rule out this option. Also I am not sure if my profession - Human Resources - is considered as Skill Level Type A as this information is vague.

I have been in touch with a CIC agent, and he sent me some information but is it true to say that in my case - an approved LMO - is the only option that can play out in order for me to extend my work permit once the Youth Professional VISA expires? Unless ofcourse I manage to find a Canadian partner ... (jokes) :)

Thank you for any input!

Best regards
Sarka

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

sarx121 said:
A warm hello to all! :)

I am a czech citizen and am currently in Toronto, on a 1 year open work permit under the Work Holiday program. I have potentially found a solid employer within the IT sector, who have asked me how I can prolong my work permit. Now I am very well aware of the next VISA category under this Program, ie. the Youth Professional VISA which is valid again for another 1 year, restricting you to work for one employer only. I spoke to a CIC agent earlier today, but I am not sure if he provided me with the absolute correct answer with respect to the application process for this category VISA - he stipulated that I must leave Canada and apply for this next work permit at the Canadian VISA Office in my own country. Is this absolutely true? In addition is it at all possible for the application process to be hurried, if the employer writes a letter of urgency?

My next concern is what happens once this 1 year is up. I am very well aware that the economy is tough these days, and know of many Canadians who battle to find work in their own country. This employer wants to invest in a long term resource, and need to have confirmation that I can prolong my work permits and stay with them. I was wondering if a company can influence the outcome of an LMO application in anyway (not negatively but rather positively). Lets say I will have successfully completed my 1st year with them under the Youth Professional VISA (which is easier to obtain), surely the HRSDC should approve the LMO since I have already been with the company for 1 entire year? It is also wise to add that since this employer brings in many IT skilled professionals from overseas, due to the weak IT labour market in Toronto.

Simply stated, there is the immigration for skilled workers program (66 points) as given under the CEC program - but I read that once needs to have 2 years of full time wok exp in Canada behind them - thus I probably have to rule out this option. Also I am not sure if my profession - Human Resources - is considered as Skill Level Type A as this information is vague.

I have been in touch with a CIC agent, and he sent me some information but is it true to say that in my case - an approved LMO - is the only option that can play out in order for me to extend my work permit once the Youth Professional VISA expires? Unless ofcourse I manage to find a Canadian partner ... (jokes) :)

Thank you for any input!

Best regards
Sarka

1. You have to apply to the Prague CHC office, but it can be by mail.
2. You know that the job must meet the following:

have received a signed letter of offer or contract of employment in Canada that is related to your field of professional expertise (degree and/or work experience) and that supports your career development (progression or lateral movement);

3. Your application waits in line like all the others.
4. Company has no influence over the LMO process. HRSDC policy is employment for Canadians and PRs first.