+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Temporary Resident Visa (IMM5257 – Schedule 1)

johnfortin

Apr 19, 2013
Vientiane, Laos
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife, who is Thai, is currently filling out the above form. In the Instruction Guide it states:

"This form must be completed by:

you, the principal applicant;
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)."

Okay, my wife is the pricipal applicant, but do I have tom fill one out too? I am Canadian...I know it sounds like a silly question, but just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

John

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnfortin said:
My wife, who is Thai, is currently filling out the above form. In the Instruction Guide it states:

"This form must be completed by:

you, the principal applicant;
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)."

Okay, my wife is the pricipal applicant, but do I have tom fill one out too? I am Canadian...I know it sounds like a silly question, but just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance,

John
For TRV, you who is the Sponsor and are in Canada, do not fill out any form but just sent invitation letter and any supporting documents to her to be included in the application package.

Your wife needs to fill out form IMM 5257 and Form IMM 5645 only. The Schedule 1 of Form IMM 5257 is applicable only if she answered YES to any of the background question in form IMM 5257, if not then this form doesn't need to be filled-out.

Hope this helps...

johnfortin

Apr 19, 2013
Vientiane, Laos
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I noticed that you said" For TRV, you who is the Sponsor and are in Canada, do not fill out any form but just sent invitation letter and any supporting documents to her to be included in the application package."

However I will still be with her in Thailand while waiting for PR Sponsor approval..then we will apply for TRV..does this change anything?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
johnfortin said:
Hello,

I noticed that you said" For TRV, you who is the Sponsor and are in Canada, do not fill out any form but just sent invitation letter and any supporting documents to her to be included in the application package."

However I will still be with her in Thailand while waiting for PR Sponsor approval..then we will apply for TRV..does this change anything?
No. You are a Canadian Citizen. You are not applying for TRV, your wife is. However, note that, in the document check list, it asks that if someone is applying for visit, what is the purpose of the visit. Generally speaking, someone (in this case the spouse) needs to sent an invitation letter to the person applying for TRV. In your case, since you are already in Thailand, I am not sure how that will work. Do you know whether the Canadian Consulate in Bangkok handles the Visit Visa itself or the visa application is processed in a 3rd country? If it is processed in Bangkok, then I would suggest you go with your wife personally and ask.

johnfortin

Apr 19, 2013
Vientiane, Laos
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immigration office in Bangkok receives documents but is not an information center..they rarely have volunteered or offered assistance..that's wy I use these forums. We have lived together as husband and wife for the last 13 years in Australia, Japan, China and Laos. It is only now that we have decided to move to Canada.